Show Off Your Turkey Breasts and Thighs

Chuck-roaniecowpony

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm doing a spatched, injected bird on my RecTeq this year. First time. I usually just do a oven cooked bird. But, I'm enlisted to cook and carve this bird and deliver it to my mother-in-laws today, so I thought I'd go wild.

My wife made a turkey stock that she cooked for 2 days so she could make gravy. She screwed up the gravy once a few decades ago and is on a mission to make the best gravy ever. I begged a quart of super rich stock (incredible flavor) from her, melted 8 oz of Irish butter into it, added a 1/4 cup of this Greek rub and simmered it for 1/2 hr., cooled it to room temp and injected it.

(Note from Moderator: I've got to add "Turkey" to this post title, otherwise Google will flag it as inappropriate sexual content and then I have to go through a review process which potentially jeopardizes ad placement and revenue and is a big hassle. Sorry to be such a spoil sport, but it is what it is.)

20211125_110440.jpg20211125_124516.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoked on E6.
Good news: 16 pounds, 165 in the breast, 175 in the thighs in only 2.5 hours. B&B charcoal with Cherry and Pecan wood chunks.
Bad news: Bird dripped onto the diffuser plate, clean up in the AM. Ouch…..

1637889412447.jpeg

Last edited:
20lbs. 4.5 hours at 325-350. Had a little trouble getting it up to temp but once there stayed steady. Skin split but breast stayed moist, thighs were cooked nicely. Temp when pulled to rest was 163 in the breast, 171-ish thighs. No brine - was self-basting. A little vegetable oil and rub. Not the prettiest but it fed 7 folks to rave reviews. Three chimneys Kingsford, hot and (relatively) fast. 4 chunks apple wood.IMG_6489.jpgIMG_6499.jpgIMG_6500.jpgIMG_6502.jpgIMG_6504.jpg

12lb'er on the Smokefire. 2 day dry brine.
Butter, salt, pepper, and a litte dash of Awe Sh!t.
30 minutes at 450. 2.5 hours at 350.
Pulled at 164 thigh temp. 1.5 hour rest .....
as a couple of guests were late.

NqtRYnll.jpg

DtCFL6Dl.jpg

OsTlBp0l.jpg

6drfD0Zl.jpg

I'm thinking the next one is going to get parted out before cooking. I'll leave the breasts together, but the thighs, wings, drums, will all be separated. They all just cook at such different rates that the temps don't finish together.

I'm thinking the next one is going to get parted out before cooking. I'll leave the breasts together, but the thighs, wings, drums, will all be separated. They all just cook at such different rates that the temps don't finish together.
I may do that as well. The legs, thighs, & wings would all fit in the EZ Que rotisserie cradle, no problem.

Back