Should I get a 26" Kettle or a 22" WSM?

Enjoying this thread. I have a 22 kettle and 22 WSM. Looking at getting the 26 kettle. Sounds like people really enjoy having the 22 wsm and 26 kettle. Part of this is for competition so I'm torn between getting another WSM or the kettle.

My thoughts are using the grills the following way. 22 kettle for chicken with indirect heat zones. 22 WSM for ribs and pork butt. Brisket on 26 kettle. Otherwise it might be 18.5 wsm with pork butt and ribs. 22 WSM with brisket. I like the idea of variety of cookers. Also looking at slow n sear. Very pricey, but reviews are great. That would go with the 26 kettle.

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread. Just figured it was very closely aligned with a question I was going to ask.

Enjoying this thread. I have a 22 kettle and 22 WSM. Looking at getting the 26 kettle. Sounds like people really enjoy having the 22 wsm and 26 kettle. Part of this is for competition so I'm torn between getting another WSM or the kettle.

My thoughts are using the grills the following way. 22 kettle for chicken with indirect heat zones. 22 WSM for ribs and pork butt. Brisket on 26 kettle. Otherwise it might be 18.5 wsm with pork butt and ribs. 22 WSM with brisket. I like the idea of variety of cookers. Also looking at slow n sear. Very pricey, but reviews are great. That would go with the 26 kettle.

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread. Just figured it was very closely aligned with a question I was going to ask.

Justin, I have done a packer on my 26er, it came out great.
Here is the thread:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71583-Brisket-amp-Burnt-Ends-Overnighter-on-the-26er

My guy at the post office has a 26 and his wife gave him a slow and sear for Christmas , he LOVES it! Maybe my next grill should be the 26 of my dreams! Then I “get to” design the special carriage for that and maybe some of the “little kids” like a station for the Smokey Joe and/or GA!
I agree entirely with the benefits of the use of Cabela’s points!

Justin, I have done a packer on my 26er, it came out great.
Here is the thread:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71583-Brisket-amp-Burnt-Ends-Overnighter-on-the-26er
Pat thanks for sharing the link to your cook. My advice was going to be different regarding using the 26 for brisket. Never would have thought to use snake. I did one once on my 26 and had to reload 3 times to finish. Basically did minion method using half the coal grate seperated by fire bricks. I might have to revisit brisket on the 26 with a snake.

Justin one thing to consider is doing butt over brisket on the 22wsm. And ribs on a 26.

I just checked out the slow and sear price and saw that they have one for my ranch kettle. Oh now now!. 299.95. Yikes! That’s what I paid for my 26er 7 years ago.

How large a packer brisket have you been able to fit in the 18WSM? I had thought that the 18 would require a whole lot of trimming to fit, whereas the 22 can take anything Costco sells...

In any case, having two 26ers sounds like a lot of fun!

Average 12-15lbs on the 18WSM. I haven't personally seen a larger one around here.

I have also used the 26.75" with a snake to cook a smaller packer. I personally enjoy smoking on the WSM a little more, but the 26'er is sure up to the task.

You guys with the 26 really have me wanting one but I can never find used ones. Just made a stacker for my 22 kettle so it will do until one pops up.

wYZEseh.jpg

IDK if it's okay to bump a thread this old. Just curious, does anyone make a "Stacker" for the 26" kettle? I do see a few like the above for the 22", but cost ofc is almost as much as a 22" wsm.

Last edited:
You have to consider what you want to do with it. A 26” Kettle has slightly more cooking grate area and interior volume than an 18” WSM. A couple of us have played around with increasing the height to the charcoal grate and adding diffusers to our 26”-ers. After having used mine a couple of times, I’m confident that I could get 18 hours of smoke time without refueling. You could add a Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring if you really need extra height, but the 26” Kettle is already plenty big and capable.

Back