Shotgun Approach Or One At Time?

Joshua O

The weather is getting nicer and life has calmed down (some at least) so that I can start working on grills more actively again. Sold one last week and managed to pick up another before the wife noticed the empty spot in the backyard... :LOL:

Do you guys who flip grills more regularly work on a bunch at once in similar stages or knock one out at a time? I have a couple of Qs that I want to finish up and then 6 Genesis and am curious if a shotgun approach or focusing on one at a time works better for the seasoned flippers on here.

Here is the latest find for a whopping $0. Will probably steal some parts for a salvage grill I will be giving to a friend; igniter, burners, grates, and flavor bars all seem to be pretty good.

Joshua: I typically stick to one at a time unless I get stuck on one such as waiting for parts. I don't like to get too many going at once as I get confused in my old age. LOL. If I gets stuck on say a Genesis Silver B, I will try to work on another dissimilar grill such as a Q grill or maybe a Genesis 1000 or something like that. It just makes it easier to keep things straight than having 3 or 4 going at ounce.
But if a guy has enough space and stays organized, I could see how having several going and working on the same parts from each grill at the same time would be an efficient way to go.

Yes, I am with Bruce. That is why it is my dream to have a workshop big enough to line up various types of grills by model with the appropriate parts on shelves and racks right there. The little converted tiny "house shop" I am lucky enough to use right now has shown me what just having that can do. If I had a REAL grill shop layout I think it would make opportunity to get some efficiency by working on groups of parts to line up for assembly. For now, though, I do one or at most two at a time.

Here is a shop that comes with one of the houses we have been looking at long distance. A little paint and cleaning...Then, can't you just see the sign on the front wall to the right of that big garage door?

THIS OLD GRILL
BBQ GRILL RESTORATION
&
GRILL MUSEUM

:coolkettle:

My Next Shop.jpg

The weather is getting nicer and life has calmed down (some at least) so that I can start working on grills more actively again. Sold one last week and managed to pick up another before the wife noticed the empty spot in the backyard... :LOL:

Do you guys who flip grills more regularly work on a bunch at once in similar stages or knock one out at a time? I have a couple of Qs that I want to finish up and then 6 Genesis and am curious if a shotgun approach or focusing on one at a time works better for the seasoned flippers on here.

Here is the latest find for a whopping $0. Will probably steal some parts for a salvage grill I will be giving to a friend; igniter, burners, grates, and flavor bars all seem to be pretty good.

Forgot to say "Great find!" That one could look really nice again.

Might have to run power out to it, but I think you could fit a few grills in there along with tools, parts and supplies.

Thanks for input Bruce and Jon! It seems like sticking with one at a time is the way to go for now. While I don't think I am old, let's just say my focus is often spread thin... And Jon, that workshop looks almost as big as the house I rent 🤦‍♂️

I generally juggle 2-3 at the same time and will occasionally add
a 4th and 5th. But there are many variables. If I am only doing 2
they are likely full resto's. If I have 5 like I do right now, they are
basically all quick flips. I really cant remember the last time I was
only working on 1, but I would imagine it was because I only had
1 to work on.
For a newbie, I would recommend sticking to 1 or 2, and pace
yourself. You will find yourself facing new obstacle with each
project, that that is a learning process that can take some considerable
time. To maintain consistency, you always have to be on the lookout
for new product, while advertising your current inventory. Multiple
ads can be a huge time suck. 5 grills advertised at the same time is
my absolute max, and I prefer to keep it at 3. Replying to messages,
trying to set up appts, and getting a grill down the road is JOB #1.
Potential customers want your undivided attention.
Without rambling, what I am really saying is 1=3. Working on 1,
selling 1, and acquiring the next 1, all at the same time consistently
over a period of time is a good goal.

Dave, blows my mind how many grills you are able to turn out in a single year. Sounds like it'd be fun, I just don't have that much time with 2 little ones.

Yah, I know Dave doesn't grind out the cook box or go to any herculean measures to clean them out, but even so, it amazes me how quickly he turns out grills.

I would never try to keep up with Dave! He is the production champ. I don't think he ever gets to sleep:). I will also say that he has done some of the nicest ones on here. I still wish I could buy that crimson sidewinder:coolkettle:.

If I land a place after we move with a nice shop and can cut back on my tax preparation as I hope, maybe I will finally start producing a little more:unsure:. More likely I will just spend my proceeds on more orphan collector items. I will need some more for the Museum section of my This Old Grill building😆! Actually, I am half serious...

I think my wife would leave me if I tried doing 5 grills at a time... But the rehabbing and selling another at the same time seems pretty reasonable, especially when the misses seem to be more okay with this side hobby after one sells:unsure::ROFLMAO:.

All this talk of workshops makes me even more jealous too. We rent and the garage is stand-alone, too small for a single car and has a gravel floor. So I'm stuck doing all of it in the backyard.

I think my wife would leave me if I tried doing 5 grills at a time...

I had over 40 grills, with about a dozen in one form or another at the start of February.
My wife is still here. She started chirping right about then. Just as learning how many
rehabs you can is a process, so is learning about your wife's tolerances.

So I'm stuck doing all of it in the backyard.

Nothing sucks worse than trying to rehab out in the yard. If I had to rehab in the yard,
I would have a different side hustle.

Yah, I know Dave doesn't grind out the cook box or go to any herculean measures to clean them out...

I love seeing a shiny fire box here and on the Genesis Club page. They look so sharp,
and are guaranteed to get 100 likes. Unfortunately for me, web page likes, do not
equal real world dollars. The 100 likes fire box, only pulls about an extra $10 when
presenting and advertising the grill properly. If that shiny fire box isn't producing
an extra $75 in revenue, then is not worth the time or hassle.

I had over 40 grills, with about a dozen in one form or another at the start of February.
My wife is still here. She started chirping right about then. Just as learning how many
rehabs you can is a process, so is learning about your wife's tolerances.

Nothing sucks worse than trying to rehab out in the yard. If I had to rehab in the yard,
I would have a different side hustle.

I love seeing a shiny fire box here and on the Genesis Club page. They look so sharp,
and are guaranteed to get 100 likes. Unfortunately for me, web page likes, do not
equal real world dollars. The 100 likes fire box, only pulls about an extra $10 when
presenting and advertising the grill properly. If that shiny fire box isn't producing

Good answers, Dave. I think you have a great business model and have obviously honed your rehab and marketing skills to make it work successfully. If I turned them around like you do, I think my wife would view my grill addiction differently...Since I am more of a hobbyist/collector - at least right now - I mainly do it for the fun and to pay for my next addiction fix.

While you have a great bread and butter business plan, I also have seen enough of your excellent work to know that you, too, appreciate cool Webers. I enjoy seeing the extremely sharp and creative rehabs you have posted. You also know how to find the raw material.

p.s. Still hoping someday you will find me an errant avocado kettle to make up for the one your wife sold off cheap before we could finish our deal! 😆

p.s. Still hoping someday you will find me an errant avocado kettle to make up for the one your wife sold off cheap before we could finish our deal! 😆

Another valuable learning lesson. Keep others out of your business,
until they are fully educated and can make informed decisions.

My DH is a retired Marine Mechanic. To bring in some extra money we need, he rebuilds marine generators. He does a great job of making them look brand new and run like brand new. What would he have to know to redo grills like you all do? I would really appreciate this information.

I love to do rehab work, but this is why I could never make money doing it. I can’t stop at good enough, which as Dave points out is critical if you’re going to turn a profit. I did a couple grills for my son’s-in-law and they were sweet. Of course, my benchmark was to try to not go over $200, which is about half the cost of a new basic Weber grill. So it was a good value but I don’t think anyone would have given me $200 for them if I put them up for sale. Even with new grates and flavorizer bars (all SS), it’s just not likely anyone will open up their wallet and pay for that level of rehab. It was, however, a nicely appreciated gift that, with a bit of work, was much cheaper than buying them a brand new Weber.

My DH is a retired Marine Mechanic. To bring in some extra money we need, he rebuilds marine generators. He does a great job of making them look brand new and run like brand new. What would he have to know to redo grills like you all do? I would really appreciate this information.
Joan: I would start with the forum Stickys and then just search around and you will find plenty of information on rehabbing grills.

Yep, I have a hard time figure out where "Good Enough" is and how to stop when I get there.

Back