Short ribs for my bro

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
So, my brother is in town visiting, and, while he's a grilling/smoking afficianado, he has never had smoked short ribs. Knowing he was coming to town, I took advantage of Creekstone's recent sale on prime short ribs (with my KCBS discount added on) to treat him to something good. The cook was boringly the same as previous ones I've done..... ribs trimmed of fat/silverskin, rubbed overnight with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express, then smoked at 230 for 10 hours (wrapped for the last three.) Man, these things are just awesome, easy to cook up, etc, etc! :)

After an hour or two.....

1630127828802.jpeg

Off the grill, ready for a cooler/towel nap......

1630127854190.jpeg

Sliced for service.....

1630127869748.jpeg

We plated this up with roasted cauliflower, and some black beans (per the recipe I made last week with my Instant Pot.) Delicious!

I still need to track down some plate ribs, but, damn, these really hit the spot! Tender, beefy, and coma inducing! :)

R

So, my brother is in town visiting, and, while he's a grilling/smoking afficianado, he has never had smoked short ribs. Knowing he was coming to town, I took advantage of Creekstone's recent sale on prime short ribs (with my KCBS discount added on) to treat him to something good. The cook was boringly the same as previous ones I've done..... ribs trimmed of fat/silverskin, rubbed overnight with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express, then smoked at 230 for 10 hours (wrapped for the last three.) Man, these things are just awesome, easy to cook up, etc, etc! :)

After an hour or two.....

View attachment 35787

Off the grill, ready for a cooler/towel nap......

View attachment 35788

Sliced for service.....

View attachment 35789

We plated this up with roasted cauliflower, and some black beans (per the recipe I made last week with my Instant Pot.) Delicious!

I still need to track down some plate ribs, but, damn, these really hit the spot! Tender, beefy, and coma inducing! :)

R
I'm doing these for the first time tomorrow. Do you just add wood at the start of the cook and no more later on? Also, what wood did you use? I'm thinking oak and cherry.

I'm doing these for the first time tomorrow. Do you just add wood at the start of the cook and no more later on? Also, what wood did you use? I'm thinking oak and cherry.
P, I did these on my pellet smoker, so no added wood. If I were doing them on my WSM, I'd start with ~3 fist sized chunks of wood, and wouldn't add any more. To my preference, oak/cherry would be a great combo (oak being one of the most common smoking woods in TX.) I've done them with hickory, apple, peach, etc......always come back to at least some cherry.

Hope it goes well!

R

Nice color & smoke ring! I am sitting on a couple of these Creekstone racks from a earlier this summer. I also like to use cherry wood when smoking beef with charcoal.

Very well done!
As much as I love beef, I always struggle to finish my beef ribs. I don't know, it's like they get me drunk/dizzy each time. But that's why we love them too.

Very well done!
As much as I love beef, I always struggle to finish my beef ribs. I don't know, it's like they get me drunk/dizzy each time. But that's why we love them too.
Fabien, you are totally correct......these things are always very, very rich. One rib is usually plenty for me, and I feel like I'm in a meat coma! :)

R

Well, 7 hours in now and the WSM is running at 269F after having a few difficulties with temp at the start which I have never had. I haven't wrapped the short ribs but I have spritzed every now and again but I did go out for a couple of hours. Colour looks great and nearly there. Unfortunately the ribs were trimmed a little bit unevenly so one end might be slightly overdone but we shall see. Went for 1 large chunk of cherry and 2 smaller chunks of oak in the end. love the colour that cherry gives. Will post pictures if not embarrassed!

Have any of you ever grilled these? I had two racks and cut one up into 4 bone sections.
Went online and found a few " grilled recipes", that called them prime rib on a stick..
While they came out OK, it wasn't spectacular..

Have any of you ever grilled these? I had two racks and cut one up into 4 bone sections.
Went online and found a few " grilled recipes", that called them prime rib on a stick..
While they came out OK, it wasn't spectacular..
I would think that it would not be anything approaching prime rib on a stick if you grilled chuck short ribs hot and fast. If you think about how long it takes to get a chuck roast tender, that should provide some insight. Now, if you trim the ribs of a whole rib-eye roast primal, leaving a good amount of meat on the bones......well, that actually would be prime rib (or more accurately, standing rib) on a stick! :)

.....but, I could be wrong. Don't think I'll chance it though, this method comes out so good every time! :)

R

I would think that it would not be anything approaching prime rib on a stick if you grilled chuck short ribs hot and fast. If you think about how long it takes to get a chuck roast tender, that should provide some insight. Now, if you trim the ribs of a whole rib-eye roast primal, leaving a good amount of meat on the bones......well, that actually would be prime rib (or more accurately, standing rib) on a stick! :)

.....but, I could be wrong. Don't think I'll chance it though, this method comes out so good every time! :)

R
I tried this, but didn't separate the meat from the bone.

Back