Short Ribs and Chili

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
A week ago Sunday I smoked 2 plates of Short Ribs for dinner, with the intent of having leftovers for chili.
PXL_20210110_162227893.jpg

Ribs turned out great and I had 2 pounds leftover. This past Saturday with the weather being nice and to avoid my wife reminding me about the smell that steeped chili peppers sends through out the house I decided to cook over the fire pit.
PXL_20210116_215308908.jpg
PXL_20210116_221617583.jpgPXL_20210116_221623597.jpg
Steeped the chilis on the Genesis then blended them up with tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and Soy sauce.
PXL_20210116_224446999.jpg
PXL_20210116_230859337.jpg
PXL_20210116_232339770.jpg
PXL_20210116_233438841.jpgPXL_20210116_231110226.jpg
Nice thing about using precooked meat is no browning, removing from the pot and adding back latter. Chili turned out great. Fire pit kept up a good temp with a large bed of coals and I only had to move them around once in the 3 hours I was out side. I should invest in a better table but the buckets worked out for now.

Looks great! Love making chili over the campfire!

Looks like you need to shovel out the soccer field :ROFLMAO:

Looks great! Love making chili over the campfire!

Looks like you need to shovel out the soccer field :ROFLMAO:
LOL My sous chefs left a bit of a mess in the backyard as you can see random toys in my pictures. But they are outside and that's what matters. It was so peaceful out there I am planning a few more cooks as "practice" for camping recipes. Next I need to find a good gluten free biscuit recipe for my dutch oven.

Wow, Chris, I love everything about this one! I've always used brisket for my chili, but short ribs (if I ever had any leftover) would totally work, too! Your use of the side burner and firepit/grill took this over the top, though! Loved the whole set up you used, and "bucket tables" are exactly my style! :)

Nice work!

R

That's a nice pot of goodness, Chris! Did you document the rib cook as well?

Case, Chris is Canadian...that's a hockey goal.;)
I started documenting with photos but then forgot. The cook went OK, I was not thinking of what I was cooking and severely underestimated the time again. Just assumed about 6 hours and it ended up being closer to 10 after they had rested. I had to taste test around 9:00 pm. Warmed up for dinner the next day and they were still good.

LOL My sous chefs left a bit of a mess in the backyard as you can see random toys in my pictures. But they are outside and that's what matters. It was so peaceful out there I am planning a few more cooks as "practice" for camping recipes. Next I need to find a good gluten free biscuit recipe for my dutch oven.
I have a great gluten filled biscuit recipe. But not a gluten free one. Maybe it could be adapted it’s the ultimate flaky buttermilk biscuit recipe from America’s test kitchen.
Bob’s Red Mill has a gluten free buttermilk biscuit recipe that I bet is good. All those recipes are good.

Wow, Chris, I love everything about this one! I've always used brisket for my chili, but short ribs (if I ever had any leftover) would totally work, too! Your use of the side burner and firepit/grill took this over the top, though! Loved the whole set up you used, and "bucket tables" are exactly my style! :)

Nice work!

R

My boys had the buckets out to play with so I just commandeered a few of them. I even took over their snow hill as my "cooler"
PXL_20210116_231122134.jpg

I have a great gluten filled biscuit recipe. But not a gluten free one. Maybe it could be adapted it’s the ultimate flaky buttermilk biscuit recipe from America’s test kitchen.
Bob’s Red Mill has a gluten free buttermilk biscuit recipe that I bet is good. All those recipes are good.
If I made a Gluten filled biscuit recipe the backyard would become my bedroom LOL. I have used a bunch of Red Mill products before I will take a look at their recipe. Supposed to another decent weekend here so I have the time. Thanks

Back