Shiny new smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a new Mountain Cooker. I have a horizonal that I have used for years so I thought I would give this type a try. Am I supposed to "season" it or something, or just start cooking? Almost all of it is porcelain coated. After I use it, do I just wash the whole thing?

Thanks for you help!

Dick

Hi Dick,

Congrats on the new WSM. It does not need to be seasoned before first use because of the porcelain finish, but it may run just a bit hotter than normal during the first couple of uses because of the shiny interior.

Suggestions for cleanup after each use can be found on the Cleanup page.

Regards,
Chris

Welcome to the club, Barbecue1. I don't disagree with the info Chris has on the cleanup page, but I don't do everything he suggests. The main thing is to clean the water pan as soon as the cooker has cooled off. If you don't you get all kinds of white and green mold growing the cooker, not a good thing. Also dump the ashes as soon as they are completly cooled, if you don't they seem to collect moisture. Then I hit the cooking grates with a grill brush. Thats all I do after the cook. If the grates seem real nasty I will wash them before the next cook, but I only do that about every third time. I never wash or scrape the inside of the cooker.

Of course, there are some people who wash the whole thing completly every time. Wasn't there someone who put the unit in the dish washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back