Serial number help on old Genesis?

Tork T

TVWBB Member
Weber Folks!

Just when I thought I was cured along came this free Redhead. What could I do?! I'm a sucker for longer frames and deep fire boxes.

Can you help decipher the serial number? Year of production?

The swing table on the left had the older bracket and no slide, but there are holes in the center of the lower frame. What could they be for? Both the surface and flip table on the left did not come with the free grill.

There are no casters. Could this grill have been pre-caster?

As always, thanks for your help!

IMG_8876.jpgIMG_8880.jpgIMG_8881.jpgIMG_8882.jpg

Thanks again-I’d forgotten about this link for the 1985-1992 grills.

Could this grill have been a pre-caster version especially since it has the older metal bracket for the swing table?

Thanks again-I’d forgotten about this link for the 1985-1992 grills.

Could this grill have been a pre-caster version especially since it has the older metal bracket for the swing table?
Pretty sure it is...does it have caps on the ends of the legs without the wheels? If so, you may consider drilling holes in them so they don't collect water.

EDIT: Also, the casters add almost 2.5" of height to the legs...I think you would know if they were missing.

Attachments

• Leg Cap.png
    Leg Cap.png
    888.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Rusty Legs.png
    Rusty Legs.png
    978.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Ed-

Right you are... the legs on the above grill are 28 3/8", and on my "castered" cousin Genesis 2000 the legs without the casters are 25 3/4".

There were no caps on the bottom of the legs which may be in my favor.

If I want casters I have a shorter leg/frame that should work, and I have the casters. Obvious benefit of casters is mobility. Can you think of a downside to not having casters...other than keeping the grill original?

Thanks!

Downside to not having casters? Yes, it's harder to move the grill around. If it's out in the yard or the dirt, not a problem because casters won't help, but on a slab or deck it's more useful to have casters, I think. The grill is more stable without casters, but most grills these days have wheels or casters on all 4 corners. Mine will be on a slab so I cut the legs and added casters.

EDIT: And I appreciate your desire to keep it original!

Last edited:
Get the casters unless the grill will definitely be stationary. You would want the casters with the locks on them so you can lock them in place and they would be almost as stable as no caster legs.

Good Grief! I meant to ask if there was any "downside to having casters". I must be in a brain slump today... hopefully it doesn't last as long as my batting slumps used to.

Also, casters keep your metal frame that much further off the ground and away from moisture.

Downside to having casters is they don't seem to last long and need to be replaced when they sieze up...on a Silver you can break the spot welds on the frame extension expanders if you manhandle the grill because the casters are siezed up.

If you have casters you can always go back to stationary legs...if you use those star type inserts the way they were intended and then use furniture leveling feet...

Last edited:
Interesting bit of Weber history there, Chris! It tends to make me think that Weber intended casters to be an upscale and exclusive feature, reserved for the high end grills of the day.

Casters probably followed the evolution of the backyard from grass to patio to deck to outdoor kitchen and living area. Casters are more of a nuisance to me. I would prefer large feet on one side and big wheels on the other side.

Chris- you amaze me with your Weber knowledge and resources!!

Looks like the grill I just picked up is a Genesis 3.

Aren't the early Genesis grills with wider wood slats also referred to as Genesis 1,2,3 etc? If so, anyone know when the transition from wide to narrow wood slats happened?

Large feet and big wheels sound like good features to me!

Back