Semi Custom Silver B

CharlesG

TVWBB Member
I have really enjoyed this forum and all the advice and help in building my grill. I wanted to do something a little different and slightly customized a Silver B. I always liked the wood tables and wanted to do something different with the wheels. Here was the before and after!

Custom Wood Table-Secured with magnets
Custom wood handle
Modern wheels
Bead blasted fire box and lid caps -high heat ultra black
Repaired rusted cross member-welded in new piece
RCPlanebuyer grates and flavorizers

Happy to share details on any modifications I’ve made! It’s been in use for 2 years now and still looks and runs great. I also just picked up a blue lid :)

BDD60D2D-129D-402E-B15E-31EB78D5DA98.jpeg

Attachments

• F3DE1E6C-E1CE-4548-8037-3CD0B56F2264.jpeg
    F3DE1E6C-E1CE-4548-8037-3CD0B56F2264.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 33
  • B4231CDE-7E9A-4F97-93F7-23B45FEB6B63.jpeg
    B4231CDE-7E9A-4F97-93F7-23B45FEB6B63.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 70368CC0-CC01-43EE-B4A3-418AC02BA1C0.jpeg
    70368CC0-CC01-43EE-B4A3-418AC02BA1C0.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 32
That does look nice Charles.

If you still have the plastic tables you can probably clean them up and sell them for a few $$$, especially the righthand side which is harder to come by.

After you make a few $$$ selling the parts you won't feel bad spending $15 or so for a tank cover to dress up your green grill just a little bit more.

I have really enjoyed this forum and all the advice and help in building my grill. I wanted to do something a little different and slightly customized a Silver B. I always liked the wood tables and wanted to do something different with the wheels. Here was the before and after!

Custom Wood Table-Secured with magnets
Custom wood handle
Modern wheels
Bead blasted fire box and lid caps -high heat ultra black
Repaired rusted cross member-welded in new piece
RCPlanebuyer grates and flavorizers

Happy to share details on any modifications I’ve made! It’s been in use for 2 years now and still looks and runs great. I also just picked up a blue lid :)

View attachment 62367
Wood side table looks great, have you thought about wood end pieces and wood slide up tables? If you want
to sell thermoset plastic pieces I would be interested.

The wood makes for nice clean lines, sets off the green lid perfectly. Nice job and as you said it is lasting good looks.

Wood side table looks great, have you thought about wood end pieces and wood slide up tables? If you want
to sell thermoset plastic pieces I would be interested.
Thanks! I am finishing up an end cap now and will update before too long. The right swing up table was chewed on by something and in bad shape. It would barely stay on the grill long enough to get that picture :).

Excellent work looks better then OEM shelving. What type of wood did you use?
Thank you! I’ve always liked resto mod cars and wanted to do something like that with this grill.

It’s all cedar. It started as a 2x4 and I did some resawing to get it down to a nice size. I had been worried about heat and the finish ( Rustolium Spar Varnish- Marine) but it has not been an issue. I put on about 4-5 very thin coats. I thought about teak, but figured I would start with cedar. If the cedar ever breaks down I can use it as a template for the teak version! The slats are all doweled to the side pieces and then there are some rare earth magnets on the underside to keep it in place. Those things are strong!

I’ve been thinking about a lift up table and may do that before too long. Would be nice to have the space when cooking.

Back