Selling my Spirit II E-310 for a move, buy new Spirit or Genesis?

What you need to do is take a step back and do a reality check. When I bought my new grill, I considered the Spirit, Genesis and Napoleon grills with sear burners. While I liked the side burner on the Napoleon, I considered it a smaller area than the Weber offering and I worried about splattering around the burner and the cleanup. While the Weber does not get as hot as the Napoleon, it does a much better job than just searing on high with my old Silver B. The warranty is better on Napoleon but I have found Weber customer service to be great-that could change now that they are public.

Buying a grill is like buying a car. By the time you look at different models and options, you are thousands over what you want to spend. In the end, you have to decide how and how much you use the grill and if the extra cost is worth it. For me, the Spirit was the sweet spot. If I have to replace it in 10 years, the savings goes a long way toward a new grill. So far, I am very happy with my decision. YMMV.

Last edited:
What you need to do is take a step back and do a reality check. When I bought my new grill, I considered the Spirit, Genesis and Napoleon grills with sear burners. While I liked the side burner on the Napoleon, I considered it a smaller area than the Weber offering and I worried about splattering around the burner and the cleanup. While the Weber does not get as hot as the Napoleon, it does a much better job than just searing on high with my old Silver B. The warranty is better on Napoleon but I have found Weber customer service to be great-that could change now that they are public.

Buying a grill is like buying a car. By the time you look at different models and options, you are thousands over what you want to spend. In the end, you have to decide how and how much you use the grill and if the extra cost is worth it. For me, the Spirit was the sweet spot. If I have to replace it in 10 years, the savings goes a long way toward a new grill. So far, I am very happy with my decision. YMMV.

Good points, for sure.

I actually found a site that still has the Genesis II SE-330, which is the one I really wanted. Open cart, with the sear station. No fun colors readily available, but I can live with that. I also went back and re-read the new Genesis thread, and realized I do not care about the new ones at all, since they are moving the tanks inside of the closed cart, blegh. That is the thing I don't like about the Napoleon.

But... I also mentioned the Napoleon to my wife, and the nice rotisserie system, and she perked up at that. Rotisserie chicken is a favorite of hers, and that basket opens some things up as well. Has anyone used the rear burner for the rotisserie and had other burners on to cook something else? Wondering if that would throw things off.

Anywho, I am deciding between the Genesis II SE-330, and the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB. Love to hear more opinions, if you got 'em!

I really like my E 330. will you have room for more than one grill? The older genesis with the controls on the side are great for rotisserie. Anything 2010 or earlier.

Having two grills isn't a bad thing. It adds flexibility. I often have more than one of mine going for one meal. One cooking the main protein and another doing veggies or a side.

Add on rotisseries are not very expensive. Mine was around $50 in the amazon warehouse. I don't know the cost of repairing a built in one, but if my roti fails I'll buy another.

Another option for the price difference you could buy a master touch kettle and add a rotisserie ring and still be ahead.

I have nothing against the Napoleon, they look really good, however my opinion is there isn't any one grill that does everything as well or as easy as multiple grills. I really like my gas grills for convenience though. I'm not trying to start a debate on this, just sharing my opinion.

good luck.

You can add a rotisserie to any grill, but it does not make it a great rotisserie grill as a lot of folks on this site will tell you. The old E/W setup was the best rotisserie setup without a dedicated rotisserie burner as the heat was along the sides of what was spinning instead of just the ends as with N/S burners. I like my chicken skin to crackle when I eat it. I will be using the rotisserie for my Peruvian Chicken tonight (weather permitting) on the Napoleon using the roti burner and will report back. I know a few people on here have the same grill and at least one has the flat black phantom. Don't get me wrong before getting the Napoleon I really lusted for the SE335. But the sear burner and included rotisserie sold me Napoleon. There is also height from rod to great to fit a turkey with no problems.

Yep, I get that, but whenever I do a roto, even dry brining with kosher salt the night before, the drippings during the roto cook continually bast the chicken and don't let it "dry". STill tastes good, but the skin is just soft and not real appetizing IMO.

Yeah no brining, no special "treatments". I forgot you gotta prick the skin as well so that the fat can render. Kinda like why you score a duck breast. But, no brining of any kind. Just heavily seasoned just prior to going on

OK, I guess I can see where pricking the skin to allow the trapped juices to flow out might work.

Joe, how do you get "crisp" skin on a roto chicken?
Bruce - Still working on it. I guess I have 3 things left to try. Rotisserie burner tonight, charcoal baskets under the chicken in the kettle instead of the sides with pan under, and now pricking the skin. Some parts do get crispy but usually only on the leg and wing.

Yah, Joe, nothing better than a nice crispy tasty slab of breast skin. Maybe better than bacon.

I don't think roto is the ideal method for crisp poultry skin. But you can try all of the standard tricks used in other poultry cooking methods:

dry skin, brined skin, punctured skin, higher heat, baking powder, brush with oil, finish separately in broiler or over coals, etc. etc. etc.

The fail safe method is to just make crackling skin separately in the oven/broiler. That what I do with the rotos I get from Costco. Comes out great.

The fail safe method is to just make crackling skin separately in the oven/broiler. That what I do with the rotos I get from Costco. Comes out great.
Can you clarify this please?

Do you pull the skin off costco chicken and broil it?

Or put the whole bird in for a quick crisp?

I'm thinking just the skin but wanted to ask.

I had a big Jenn-Air grill by the pool that had the rear infrared rotisserie burner. It did a good job for that, but I preferred my Silver B to it for all my other grilling tasks except for large groups. Sold it when we moved. Now my preferred method is to drive to Costco and pick one up.

I like the suggestion of the new Genesis or Spirit along with an older Weber for rotisserie-even a 2 burner. Your total cost will be less than that Napoleon.

Last edited:
On my roto as we speak. Doing two 3.5 lb Chuck Roasts on a low and slow on my way to some faux Burnt Ends.

Started about 11:30 this morning:

20211007_110447.jpg

3.5 hours in and internal temps 135-145 on their way to a 200-205 goal temp.

20211007_145326.jpg

Larry, I am doing this for the first time with instructions provided by Jon and Dave in KC.

That is a good idea. I bought one of those from Harbor Freight a couple years ago.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Back