Self Stick Adhesive or High Temp RTV for Gasket?

RobM-WI

Anyone have experience with both? Does one last longer than the other? I know the RTV is "food safe" but what about the self stick adhesive or Nomex material. Looking to purchase on of the kits for a WSM14. Thanks!

I‘ve personally only used the self-adhesive stuff myself. It holds up just fine on my BGE Mini, and like @DanHoo mentioned above, you can easily run a ceramic cooker much hotter than a WSM.

I’m sure both are fine, but I don’t know whether one lasts longer than the other.

I've used both, but only used the RTV for the full life of the seal. I'm on the 2nd one which I did with the self adhesive this time. The first one, the felt just eventually wore out and wasn't sealing well anymore. This is after YEARS. Time will tell on the self adhesive but it seems to be holding up. I think the self adhesive is going to look better. The red stuff just looks gross. Getting either off you smoker is about the same level of PITA. RTV might be easier to get off.

I have the nomex felt seal on WSM.
It is glued on with black high heat rtv from lava lock. Fortunately I already had the black high heat rtv, because the nonex seal was supposed to be self-adhesive ......it was nothing of the sort. I mean not at all.

It works fine, in fact it works really good. Around the top of the WSM basically what you have is grease /soot soaked felt after a while... But it works really good as a seal . Should be standard on WSM. It's on the WSM door also but the little corners at the bottom have Dobbs of black sealant to seal up the gaps there too. Its tight...no leaks.

Back