Self Cleaning Oven to clean grill parts?

Just put a wire cup brush in a drill or angle grinder. It works great, only takes a couple of minutes to do all of them.
I've used the wire cup for the stainless steel ones but didn't know if it would ruin the porcelain enamel or not.

I've used the wire cup for the stainless steel ones but didn't know if it would ruin the porcelain enamel or not.
Yeah, I can see where doing that might shorten the life of the porcelain ones, which is pretty short anyway. Let me help you spend your money, just buy a nice set of stainless ones that you can safely wire brush😄

So, every time I run my self cleaning oven, I try to be economical about it and put a punch of stuff in there at the same time. I typically clean my grates and flavorizer bars, along with various cast iron skillets and bits. All the cooked on gunk turns into a white powder that falls off or wipes right off. This works like crazy.
I'm going to try this with my Cast Iron grates.

My question to you is, do you leave the grates right on the "bottom" of the oven floor?

Or do you put them on top of something else (like a cookie sheet, etc.)?
Can you leave the oven's stainless steel racks in there, and put the Cast Iron grates on top of those?

Thanks!

My oven says to take the grates out so, I’m reluctant to even put the grill grates in the thing. Does it really work that well? Grill heat and a brush seems to have served me well for years.
What about the dishwasher for grates?

I've read several articles about how the self-cleaning function can damage or shorten the life of an oven. It may vary from oven to oven so you might want to look into that. Also, as most ovens aren't vented to the outside, you might be polluting your indoor air so be sure to do this with adequate ventilation, especially with NG.

I'm going to try this with my Cast Iron grates.

My question to you is, do you leave the grates right on the "bottom" of the oven floor?

Or do you put them on top of something else (like a cookie sheet, etc.)?
Can you leave the oven's stainless steel racks in there, and put the Cast Iron grates on top of those?

Thanks!
I go with option #3 - putting the grates on top of the oven grates. I find that this cleans the oven grates as well, which is good. The owners manual for my oven did warn that leaving the oven grates in the oven even one time will destroy the coating on them that helps them to slide smoothly. This was completely true. My grates still slide in and out, but with a bit of a squeak instead of a glide.

I have never used the self clean function on an oven. The who "precautions" segment in the owner manuals scare me off of it

I have never used the self clean function on an oven. The who "precautions" segment in the owner manuals scare me off of it
I tried it once on my GE double oven not long after I got it. The inner glass window on the top oven shattered into a thousand pieces for my trouble. That was a fun mess to clean up.

That inner glass shattering happened on a very old (mid 50’s) GE range I had, just crazed, never let go but, I’m reluctant to use the self cleaning feature very often. Spooky, maybe I should use it tomorrow Halloween fun?

Back