Self Cleaning Oven to clean grill parts?

Scott Smith

TVWBB Pro
So, every time I run my self cleaning oven, I try to be economical about it and put a punch of stuff in there at the same time. I typically clean my grates and flavorizer bars, along with various cast iron skillets and bits. All the cooked on gunk turns into a white powder that falls off or wipes right off. This works like crazy.

Now I have the end caps off of my grill lids. I see that they are aluminum and also painted on one side. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to clean the end caps or perhaps an entire cookbox or drip tray in the oven and what the results were. I understand that aluminum melts at a much lower temperature than iron, so I am very hesitant - could ruin the part and the oven.

Stick a broken aluminum part in there next time and see what happens. You can also probably look up how hot your oven gets during self clean and as long as it’s below the melting temperature of aluminum (1,221 degrees F) you should be fine. I’d be surprised if self clean got above 750.

Apparently self clean is about 500 C, around 932 F. So you shouldn’t melt. I’d be more concerned about warp though. I’d try a piece I didn’t care about first.

I've cleaned old cast iron in it, but the smell is so bad, I built an electrolysis tank for it. When I ran the self clean, it said to remove the oven racks. Not sure what it would do to grill grates. :unsure:

Does anyone know if the porcelain enameled Flavorizer Bars can be cleaned in the oven this way, or only the Stainless Steel ones?

We have an LG range. No way I would trust the self clean feature on that piece of garbage. Or maybe I should and then I would have an excuse to get that piece of junque outta my house :D

Does anyone know if the porcelain enameled Flavorizer Bars can be cleaned in the oven this way, or only the Stainless Steel ones?
Just put a wire cup brush in a drill or angle grinder. It works great, only takes a couple of minutes to do all of them.

Personally, I wouldn’t put anything in a self cleaning oven. The risk of burning down your home from a grease fire outweighs any benefit of being lazy and not cleaning your grill outside with some basic cleansers.

Personally, I wouldn’t put anything in a self cleaning oven. The risk of burning down your home from a grease fire outweighs any benefit of being lazy and not cleaning your grill outside with some basic cleansers.
Wife left the broiler pan in there one time. Freaked out when she saw flames in there and called the FD.
Well the door is locked and even if you shut it down it still has to cool off so the worst thing to do is open the door when that happens.

The one and only time I tried to use the self cleaning feature of my oven, the inner glass window shattered into a thousand pieces. The oven was fairly new at that point and I thought I would just try it.

Back