Seems like a great pizza cooker

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Wasn't sure where to stick this link. (Maybe someone already has?). Stumbled on this Horsman guy again with another seemingly great deal. Under $100 pizza wood fired oven.
I think he went a little too far on temp and a little too big on the pizza in his test. But the darn thing sure looks interesting

Why? Maybe not very "polished" but hardly a train wreck
I struggle to follow his presentation as he randomly skips around and doesn’t complete his sentences. And then he burned that pizza, which was his fourth one, so he should have known his pie was too large for the oven. The burned pie was enough to tell me the oven has one hot spot only and will likely burn any shell that enters the chamber.

So to me, he is a train wreck. His other videos have the same stumbling and inconsistent presentation. To each their own. YT has millions of shows to watch.

Wasn't sure where to stick this link. (Maybe someone already has?). Stumbled on this Horsman guy again with another seemingly great deal. Under $100 pizza wood fired oven.
I think he went a little too far on temp and a little too big on the pizza in his test. But the darn thing sure looks interesting
Contrary to popular belief, Expert Grill puts out some decent products. Got tired of taking the Santa Maria attachment off my Weber kettle every time I wanted to do a low & slow cook so bought an Expert Grill 22" kettle for $97. Used it a lot this past Summer. Unlike the Weber kettle, found you need to rely much more on the upper vent for temp. control but, other than that, very happy with it. It's well built, really stable with 4 legs and even came with charcoal baskets.

Last time we met my daughter and her husband at the lake for lunch, their ancient portable gasser crapped out so, after shopping around, got them the Expert Grill 2 burner portable gasser. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-G...ropane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel/145582980 Unlike most portables, it comes set up to use a 20# propane cylinder instead of the 1# bottles, as their old one did.

I agree with Brett, the guy is weird, his green kettle that he has modified is just stupid, the big wooden table that he counterweights with a barbell plate, IN the ash catcher! Moronic concept. Anyway, the pizza thing for a hundred bucks is interesting. I’ve watched maybe three things from him and I just don’t bother, he’s a brain sucker.

That pizza cook was awful.

The too large Pizza folding over and hanging off the peel. We're trying to make pizza, not calzone!

The launch peel was metal (sticky) rather than wood.

Because the pie was too big for the oven and the peel, he couldn't get it in or out or turned correctly. So completely carbonized burned on one side and undercooked elsewhere.

On the oven, it doesn't look any bigger than most of the others out there. Since pies are round and must be rotated, extra length doesn't translate into being able to cook bigger pies. Unless you step up to the 16 inch Ooni ($$$), all these table top ovens are limited to 12 inches or less pie size.

But for $100 bucks, should be decent for cooking small pies.

I wasn't referring to his cooking or communication skills. He is weird but if you've been around as many people from the upper midwest as us here, it's kind of normal. But was referring to the actual hardware. The cooker itself looks like a nice piece especially for the $$$

From what I have read regarding this unit, it would probably need some form of modification since it is not completely insulated on the bottom. There are numerous new ovens in the marketplace right now, a lot of them claiming to bake pies in a very low timeframe, however I continue to see videos with black or burnt crust.

Here is a link to a 9 page thread discussing this unit for those interested in it:

I wasn't referring to his cooking or communication skills. He is weird but if you've been around as many people from the upper midwest as us here, it's kind of normal. But was referring to the actual hardware. The cooker itself looks like a nice piece especially for the $$$
Then yes, I’ve spent $97 on more silly things than that oven. Go for it and please report back. I’m curious what a person who CAN cook does with it.

If you have some grillgrates, they work fine in one of your grills for doing pizza.
No special pizza oven needed......

Contrary to popular belief, Expert Grill puts out some decent products. Got tired of taking the Santa Maria attachment off my Weber kettle every time I wanted to do a low & slow cook so bought an Expert Grill 22" kettle for $97. Used it a lot this past Summer. Unlike the Weber kettle, found you need to rely much more on the upper vent for temp. control but, other than that, very happy with it. It's well built, really stable with 4 legs and even came with charcoal baskets.

Last time we met my daughter and her husband at the lake for lunch, their ancient portable gasser crapped out so, after shopping around, got them the Expert Grill 2 burner portable gasser. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-G...ropane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-Steel/145582980 Unlike most portables, it comes set up to use a 20# propane cylinder instead of the 1# bottles, as their old one did.
I was VERY tempted to try the EG pellet. Honestly seems like a decent unit, at least to get someone started anyways. But I had my Smokefire already and the second pellet I get will be an EX4 or GMG.

If you have some grillgrates, they work fine in one of your grills for doing pizza.
i had a custom 3/8" A36 steel plate made last year for pizza cooks. $65 total and i use it on my S6 grate. Very happy with it.

I turn a muffin tin upside-down on my kettle grill and sit the pizza pan on top of it with a blazing fire underneath with good results. There are many ways to skin a cat. A dedicated piece of gear often translates to either a slightly easier process or a waste of funds.

I use flat side GGs instead of a stone. Just have to be careful not to overdue it with flat metal since it cooks the bottom much faster than the more gradual cook of a stone.

A pizza steel is ideal for a kitchen oven (lower temps than a grill) where a stone cooks the bottom too slowly. At higher grill temps, the steel may cook too much/fast. I use a pizza pan or screen if the bottom is running ahead of the top.

I honestly don't need it, as the Wolf does an exceptional job thanks to the rear/upper IR burner. So with heat from above and below I can mimic a true wood fired oven pretty well. But, no matter how good it is there is something a wood fired oven can give that all the attachments and stuff cannot duplicate. But, I will likely not get this thing. Cash flow right now becoming an issue. Over $40 just for a few gallons of diesel to cut the lawn, next week nearly $3k out the window on Wed to remove a sick 40+ foot tall oak from our yard. So if/when the pizza oven happens it'll have to wait until the $$$ are not sailing out the window

I use flat side GGs instead of a stone. Just have to be careful not to overdue it with flat metal since it cooks the bottom much faster than the more gradual cook of a stone.

A pizza steel is ideal for a kitchen oven (lower temps than a grill) where a stone cooks the bottom too slowly. At higher grill temps, the steel may cook too much/fast. I use a pizza pan or screen if the bottom is running ahead of the top.
exactly. my gun temp on the stel is 550F target. hotter than that and bottom cooks faster than top. i also have and use aluminum mesh screens to break the heat barrier. then de-screen the pizza when top is cooked to crisp the bottom. i've dialed this all in during the past year on the E6, now S6. and yes, any grill that's on full blast will scortch the pie. less is more. you're not smelting metal, just making pizza. 550F is plenty of heat to do a pie in 5 mins, and metal doesn't lose heat between pies like stones do so you can make more pie with no recovery times.

I like Tom's channel. He has a lot of interesting mods and tries out some cool stuff. Almost every Tuber is a little weird if you want to get picky;-)

I think the pizza was too big and the temps too hot. I think the pizza would have turned out better with someone who has experience doing it. With that being said I will stick with my Kettle Pizza for my kettle. Never failed me.

Back