Seeking some chicken wings recipes

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Seeking to explore a different flavor to my chicken wings.

Any standout recipes that you can share that's outside the usual bbq sauce with Tabasco or other hot sauce?

Seeking something that's flavorful and interesting. Inspo me. Thanks!

My cook is tonight. So let's get this rolling.

I use the same breading mix for wings that we use for KFC or kettle fried chicken and a vortex or smokefire.
Did a honey garlic ( Weber ) seasoning and a garlic parmesan ( Weber ) seasoning.
Shake and bake.

I did a real smoke setup ( low n slow ) on the E6 with killer hogs bbq rub......it was in my last made thread.....deep colour and flavor.
Then a flash fry.....I used the slate but you could use anything really.....high heat lots of flips and then the skin is delicious.....
Flash fry = very shallow oil amounts........
I'm loving gar par these days, or even a gar par with suicide style hot sauce.
This is before the flash fry.

1723058897968.png

seeking flavor profiles please. like a soy hot honey; garlic parmesan chili flakes; sweet n sour and cayenne; etc.

i don't own or use pre-made rubs in jars or bottles. i prefer ingredients.

i have a few methods to cook by. really seeking flavors/profiles, please.

I am more of a dipper than a sauce n shake kind of guy....I like my wings to be crispy when I bite into them.......
Again anything gar par is what I am working with these days......I also like hot with it....

same idea but they want to toss bottled hot sauce on it afterwards....

I am at the point where I want to use dried chilies brought back to life and making something along the lines what starts the flavors in my chili con carne......and make it a Mexican inspired hot sauce........the usuals like garlic, onion....chilies and some stock comes to mind.
Buying pre made wing sauce gets the job done but we know there can be better.

If no one else replies I may be the winner by default!

I really cheat, I will take frozen wings and throw them in a big ziplock bag with McCormick “Bourbon brown sugar” rub and let them thaw, tossing the bag about to make sure it’s fairly even. Then Vortex them. Hot honey is a great drizzle or dipping sauce. I don’t like them too wet. So, I leave that to personal preference.
That’s been a favorite around here for a couple of years.IMG_1106.jpeg
The same technique is fine with fresh of course just give them an hour or two, tossing between beers.
It’s a cheat but,a similar thing could be done with the basic ingredients without too much trouble, I might try a batch from scratch.
Just sent you an email with another one. I’ll try to copy and paste it here later, I need to make dinner! Oh, and have a beer,I did lawn work and helped SWMBO clear out her closet, I’ve earned one!

Last edited:
I am more of a dipper than a sauce n shake kind of guy....I like my wings to be crispy when I bite into them.......
Again anything gar par is what I am working with these days......I also like hot with it....

same idea but they want to toss bottled hot sauce on it afterwards....

I am at the point where I want to use dried chilies brought back to life and making something along the lines what starts the flavors in my chili con carne......and make it a Mexican inspired hot sauce........the usuals like garlic, onion....chilies and some stock comes to mind.
Buying pre made wing sauce gets the job done but we know there can be better.

If no one else replies I may be the winner by default!
i can give you a "fire in the hole" recipe but i take no responsibility for the end results.

Brett, have you checked all the ones I posted? There should be at least 14 recipes of some real good wings.
If you don't like any of those, let me know, I have a 3" binder FULL of just wings.

Last edited:
Thinning out some Sriracha sauce with rice wine vinegar and adding some soy sauce might make for a an interesting wing marinade. Might have to add some water along with the vinegar to keep from "acid cooking" the wings. Would probably go with very mild smoke wood, or none at all if using this kind of marinate.... Could maybe sub in some gochujang paste for some or all of the sriracha

Huge disclaimer - I haven't tried this but it seems like Brett is looking for some wild ideas so I'm just throwing this out there.

Dude, just try rendering the fat, getting them crispy with maybe a little SPG. Then, just find some sauces if any & dip them as needed. I find with wings, less is more.

Dude, just try rendering the fat, getting them crispy with maybe a little SPG. Then, just find some sauces if any & dip them as needed. I find with wings, less is more.
Why go simple? 😅😅😅

These are a riff on previous versions. More flavor on the wings and then a light sauce to finish with.

I've got one: Asian-Maple sweet w/ heat

Click for the full recipe

Back