Got my bullet delivered yesterday.
wsm22_zpsd726ce05.jpg

Washed and seasoning this morning.
wsmseason_zpseda030ac.jpg

Getting to temp pretty fast.
wsmsestmp_zps041a898e.jpg

Butt tomorrow :cool:

Me and my wife are full time Rv'rs

Forget the thermometer in the lid. Most are terribly inaccurate. Get a Maverick. Click the Amazon link on here and order from Amazon. I'm going to remove mine and install another vent in its place.
Butt will really season the cooker.

Congrats on the new cooker.

A WSM dome thermometer is accurate for where it is located. Typically the dome thermometer will read 50F, or so, lower than the actual temperature at the top grate.
I have an ET-732 and it works well. What I have been using recently, is a standard, analog thermometer, put in my probe grommet,
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?19285
Which winds up being about one inch below the top grate. Using this in conjuction with the dome thermometer, gives me good readings and control.

Bob

If I were you I'd never run it with water. Buy a brinkman charcoal pan and a clay saucer- or temp controller.

If I were you I'd never run it with water. Buy a brinkman charcoal pan and a clay saucer- or temp controller.

...Or you can try different set-ups and methods to find out what you like best, and learn a thing or two about BBQ in the process. For instance, lots of us like to use water in the pan for ribs. By the same token though, you gotta try a dry pan and a HH (high heat) brisket. Just don't forget to foil...the pan OR the brisket. Trying different things is half the fun!

I will on occasion use the water for a spiral sliced ham to keep temps @ 225. Just be aware if you do go waterless for awhile and switch back to using it on one or more cooks, pay attention to the lid. IME the water steam cleans the inside of the lid, which causes flakes, which can rain down on you're cook. So flip the lid over and inspect it, if you see any flakes brush them off with a heavy nylon or copper brush or a wad of tin-foil.

Tim

Just be aware if you do go waterless for awhile and switch back to using it on one or more cooks, pay attention to the lid. IME the water steam cleans the inside of the lid, which causes flakes, which can rain down on you're cook. So flip the lid over and inspect it, if you see any flakes brush them off with a heavy nylon or copper brush or a wad of tin-foil.

Tim

Good tip and very true, Tim, but I did a run of several dry pan cooks on my 22.5" wsm a few months back and still needed to clean up the lid and scrape off a lot of flaking. I noticed it the most after a big chicken cook where the legs had just come out of a buttermilk brine, but also on other big cooks with lots of meat in the cooker.

how it going dave i have always used water and have had great results.. may try something today.. great day for some good bourbon and some smoked meat.. at least that is something too look forward too.. take care

glenn in SC

Yes, Glenn, good bourbon and smoked meat sounds good to me as well. My problem though is that anything more than a couple beers is pushing my luck with the Missus.

Back