Seasoning Hamburgers

Steven Simpkins

TVWBB Member
I have read that not to handle the hamburger as much as possible to keep from compacting it. How would you mix the seasoning into the hamburger without handeling the hamburger? Would you just apply the seasoning to the outside of the burgers right before putting on the grill? Sorry about all the questions but I am on my way to a really great tasting burger.
Any other suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I used to mix all the seasonings and ingredients (small onion pieces, garlic, etc) plus an egg, into the mixture and really go to work on it. But I read what you read and have been doing minimal processing since. I also read that a good portion of people ascribe to the thought that "hamburger taste comes from toppings, not seasonings/items mixed into the meat". So lately I've simply been adding light to medium seasonings on top/bottom of the patties, then getting my flavor from sauces, toppings, etc, after the fact.

Seems to be working well. The burgers are definitely juicier.

Steve I'd first say you should def use 80/20. If you want to season them up, I'd use salt, pepper, onion, garlic an egg and some bread crumbs. Mix well in a bowl, form your patties and there you go
icon_smile.gif

You should also add some water, stock, or any other liquid if you want juicy hamburgers. If you give the minced meat a spin with some salt before adding the liquid, the meat will absorb lots of liquid, more than you really need. The addition of breadcrumbs is nice, it will keep the hamburger juicy, and you can reduce the fat content if needed/wanted. I have made moose hamburgers with a fat content of a tad over 5%, and still super juicy with this trick. I used moose stock as liquid. Not something that you might have access to, but the idea and principle is the same with other liquids.

It does not really matter.

I like my meat to taste like the meat of the animal it was made from. Apart from salt, and maybe peppers I like to add other flavors as a seasoning, or as add ons to the finished burger.
I'm not a big fan of meat that tastes like something else than it is. And especially not when I'm grilling food. If your meat is so bland that you need to make it taste like something else than meat, buy better meat.

I think there's also such a thing as underworking the meat. I've had problems with burgers falling apart on the grill, too.

I mix in an egg, bread crumbs, and A-1 sauce. The A-1 was something I tried about ten years ago and it was an instant hit. Juicy tasty burger and what my family prefers.

I am on the side of doing as little as possible to the patty while forming it. IMO, if you mix it up a bunch it turns into a meatloaf consistency. I like to lightly roll it into a ball (so it doesn't fall apart when you press it) then lightly press it into a patty once, salt and pepper and that is it. If you have 80/20 you shouldn't have to do much to it, just add your favorite toppings! Everyone has their own way though

My mom always made burgers with an egg and she always added some minced onion. I like it that way, but I also just like a "real" burger. My grocery store sells packages of ground meat that they make from all their various trimmings. It's fantastic for burgers and just about any butcher at any grocery either has it or will do it for you. Usually, it just salt and pepper, but sometimes if I have some beef broth on hand, I'll salt the meat, add maybe a 1/4 cup or so to about 2 pounds of meat and lightly work it in. I let it sit for awhile then make my patties. Everyone really seems to like that the best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
I used moose stock as liquid. Not something that you might have access to, but the idea and principle is the same with other liquids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL - Sorry, but I just love the "International" flavor that gets thrown-in to the forums by guys like Geir.

Had to chuckle at the way "Moose Stock" just rolls-off-the-tongue. Yup - Moose is pretty hard to come by in this neck-o-the-woods, but I'll bet that if it's cooked properly, it's quite tasty! (I Love some Venison & Bison when I can get it.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
I like my meat to taste like the meat of the animal it was made from. Apart from salt, and maybe peppers I like to add other flavors as a seasoning, or as add ons to the finished burger.
I'm not a big fan of meat that tastes like something else than it is. And especially not when I'm grilling food. If your meat is so bland that you need to make it taste like something else than meat, buy better meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN, Geir!

Well said, and I totally agree.

JimT

We just buy frozen patties, add some Lowry's and Emeril's seasoning, and I grill them at relatively low temp. I like to toss some wood chips on too. Lately I've used pecan, which works well with burgers.

But they're always juicy, even when charred up (the Mrs. likes hers charred). I think the relatively lower heat is key. 225-270 on the gauge. Takes about 12-20 minutes.

I'm no burger expert but I love making them.
I'll always make a whole bunch of them so I get 2lbs of ground(minced) beef & 1 lb of minced pork and throw all in a large bowl and mix together then make a well in the middle.
I don't use egg but Olive oil, diced onion and any spice I desire such as cracked pepper,ground chilli powder,garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil, a few glugs of worcestershire sauce and either bread crumbs or breakfast oats(actually my preference) to make up the bulk, then mix together and make into fist sized balls. Sometimes I don't flatten them out and we call them rissoles here in Australia...bake rather than grill on the bbq.

Sometimes I do it American style with the onion rings and cheese over the top
icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Davo

First let me say that we eat mostly turkey burgers but I've gotten them to a point where they are just as moist and flavorful as my beef burgers. I don't use egg because I find it gives the burger too firm a texture. I always keep carmelized oinions in the freezer so I mix those in along with "fresh" breadcrumbs and ketchup. The ketchup has good amounts of salt in it and helps add moisture to the mixture.

I guess it's probably like everything else: try a bunch of different methods and pick the one that fits you.

I used to be fine with frozen patties, now I find them repulsive.

Used to be happy mixing in an egg and breadcrumbs, now (like someone mentioned above) it tastes too much like meatloaf to me and I don't like the consistency at all.

Now, I like high quality meat, lightly seasoned, lightly worked. Add toppings to flavor.

Good luck

I mix the spices in. I took a page out of the baking book and kind of fold the meat gently to lightly mix it up. I'm not too worried about it, but I go lightly on the mixing and it seems to work well and I like the seasoning on the inside of the burger.

80/20. Gently shape. Not too thick. Generous S&P both sides. Super hot cast iron. Lightly toasted bun. Pickles,ketchup and onions. Hot pepper slices optional.

Back