Searwood - Yea or Nay?

I for one never buy the first model year of anything...car, major appliance, etc... With that in mind, the Searwood is even in a more critical situation coming off the evident total failure of the SmokeFubar. Waiting it out a year or 3 seems prudent.
Technically I don't look at Searwood as a first year product. I think Weber honed everything they learned from the failings of the Smokefire and made something just "conventional" enough to work yet still unconventional enough to be ground breaking

Technically I don't look at Searwood as a first year product. I think Weber honed everything they learned from the failings of the Smokefire and made something just "conventional" enough to work yet still unconventional enough to be ground breaking

Agreed. The Searwood has taken all the failings of the SmokeFire and put the solutions into the Searwood. I would recommend the Searwood to any and everyone looking for a pellet cooker. I am completely blown away. The cooking is great, but the fact I can do a "deep clean" in about 5 minutes is a heck of a feature.

The name has changed. The design has changed. The internal components are completely different. That adds up to a new, first model by most standards. It may very well be a great product but it needs some more time to prove that.

The name has changed. The design has changed. The internal components are completely different. That adds up to a new, first model by most standards. It may very well be a great product but it needs some more time to prove that.
If this was Weber's first foray into the pellet arena (as what happened with SmokeFire) I would give the comment full creds. But it's not. They took everything that "worked" about SmokeFire, and kept it, everything that didn't, it looks like they put where it belongs (in the trash). And made the SearWood.
Believe me, given my past history with how badly the company let me down (which you obviously may not know about), you would NOT count me as a Weber "fanboy".
But, the SearWood? I'd buy one! Yeah there are things I definitely dislike (wagon wheels and no casters, no standard shelves, fixed top grate rather than sliding, and chrome plated grates, along with a fairly high price tag), but right here and now, knowing what I know, if I was in the market for a pellet grill today, I would snag one. And believe me I am about as bad a Weber "cynic" as you're likely to find

I'm surprised. He was one of the 1st Gen Smokefire enablers and that didn't work out too good.

He still thinks the SF gen 2 is one of the best pellet cookers he has used. With that said, he has a million smokers/grills he cooks with, so who knows how many times he actually used it. He said the video will be an in-depth comparison between the SF and SW. I will definitely post the link when he gets it uploaded.

Back