Searing - SnS vs. baskets vs. banked coals

Ryan-Arlington

I have a 22 inch Master Touch, along with the Weber char baskets and a SlowNSear. When it comes to direct heat/searing (steaks, burgers, etc.), I’ve found I don’t like either the baskets or the SnS:
  • The baskets are too small and don’t cover enough surface area. My steaks and burgers tend to require a larger direct zone to sear them all at the same time.
  • When using large lump charcoal in the SnS (i.e., Jealous Devil XL), I find that the lump coals are too close to the grate. I’m basically searing directly on top of the coals, which can actually seem too hot.
My question is - does anyone find the old school method of banking coals on the grate to be a better method for direct heat/searing? For what it’s worth, in watching Tuffy Stone’s Weber kettle videos, that seems to be his preferred method.

Thanks, and I’d welcome any thoughts or tips.

If it helps, here’s a couple photos illustrating the outrageous heat I get with the SnS. As you can see, I had to whip out the warming rack to grill the steaks because the flames were so intense.

I suppose I could use less coals, but with the size of some of the pieces of lump, I think the problem would persist when they are crammed into the SnS.

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2134.png
    IMG_2134.png
    754.8 KB · Views: 31
i break my JD very large pieces into small chunks for better fuel efficiency.

i cook on a WSK so my situation is slightly different than yours.

i prefer to use CBs to load my coals (lit) and do my upfront, direct sears and then move proteins to indirect to get to finished temp.

to me, searing is part of adding flavor. i've never just cooked on direct over-the-coals heat alone as that IS TOO HOT FOR TOO MUCH TIME.

searing is adding flavor. so sear and them move your protein off direct heat.

others here, some, prefer to start indirect and then move to direct sear for final temp. i prefer the opposite so i don't overshoot my target done temps.

if your steaks or meats are too large for your searing surface area, make your steaks/proteins small and more manageable.

again, for the WSK, if i am cooking over direct coals, i usually have the fire/coals in the lower coal grate position (wsk has two coal heights) and i keep my proteins moving. either on swords or sticks so as to ensure an even cook.

i hope this reply helps you better "see" your options or opportunities to achieve your results. i'm kinda interpreting that you're spending too much time on direct heat and not using the grill for its full capabilities. please don't shoot the reply. i can only infer from what you've posted.

also, i only load my chimney 75% full with JD Lump. too much fuel doesn't do anything special. less is more with JD because it burns at over 1,000F from my own laser measurements.

i break my JD very large pieces into small chunks for better fuel efficiency.

i cook on a WSK so my situation is slightly different than yours.

i prefer to use CBs to load my coals (lit) and do my upfront, direct sears and then move proteins to indirect to get to finished temp.

to me, searing is part of adding flavor. i've never just cooked on direct over-the-coals heat alone as that IS TOO HOT FOR TOO MUCH TIME.

searing is adding flavor. so sear and them move your protein off direct heat.

others here, some, prefer to start indirect and then move to direct sear for final temp. i prefer the opposite so i don't overshoot my target done temps.

if your steaks or meats are too large for your searing surface area, make your steaks/proteins small and more manageable.

again, for the WSK, if i am cooking over direct coals, i usually have the fire/coals in the lower coal grate position (wsk has two coal heights) and i keep my proteins moving. either on swords or sticks so as to ensure an even cook.

i hope this reply helps you better "see" your options or opportunities to achieve your results. i'm kinda interpreting that you're spending too much time on direct heat and not using the grill for its full capabilities. please don't shoot the reply. i can only infer from what you've posted.

also, i only load my chimney 75% full with JD Lump. too much fuel doesn't do anything special. less is more with JD because it burns at over 1,000F from my own laser measurements.
Thanks. This is super helpful. I’m definitely alternating between direct and indirect, and taking advantage of a two-zone setup. I’ve just found that the direct is too hot with SnS - the meat will literally sit in the flames because the lump is so close to the grate.

I’ll try your suggestions of (i) breaking up the JD lumps and (ii) using a 75% chimney (I’ve been doing a full chimney). Seems like those tips could go a long way.

Part of the genesis for my original question was this: As I’ve tinkered with all these accessories (baskets, SnS, etc.), I began wondering if we tend to over engineer this. When I was growing up, my dad never had a problem just dumping the coals directly on the coal grate…and the cavemen didn’t need fancy baskets lol.

But thanks again for the feedback. Super valuable and helpful.

I like the baskets because you can load fuel and its even height allowing for even cooking grate temps, but when I bank them seems like the coals closest to the exterior of the bowl are higher creating a hotter spot. I just bought a Kick Ash charcoal divider ($27) which allows me to adjust the size of my direct/indirect sides, and I can load the fuel a nice even hight like the baskets, so there aren't hot spots.

I like the baskets because you can load fuel and its even height allowing for even cooking grate temps, but when I bank them seems like the coals closest to the exterior of the bowl are higher creating a hotter spot. I just bought a Kick Ash charcoal divider ($27) which allows me to adjust the size of my direct/indirect sides, and I can load the fuel a nice even hight like the baskets, so there aren't hot spots.

Thanks for sharing. The Kick Ash divider looks interesting!

When I was growing up, my dad never had a problem just dumping the coals directly on the coal grate…and the cavemen didn’t need fancy baskets lol.
And we used to eat half cooked chicken too. There’s a lot of technology today that’s made charcoal cooking better and easier. Less is more is my approach. And knowing how to work with the fire, using vent control too.

I’m confident you’ll get to your desired results just a little tweaking and you’ll a measurable change.

Some recent cook pics. I want the flames at times and then move to indirect.

1699493283684.jpeg

1699493298309.jpeg

1699493311591.jpeg

1699493324833.jpeg

1699493341637.jpeg

Nothing burned. Just got a good sear and crispy chicken skin.

I'm in the caveman camp but have evolved to always cook in 2 zones on my Kettles.

I spread glowing coals on back half of kettle and keep the front half empty without using any kind of metal divider for my regular grilling (i.e. steaks, chicken fillets, burgers, zucchini, etc). I sear first over direct zone with lid open and then move to indirect zone with lid closed the rest of the way. For 22" Kettle, I fill a Weber chimney up about 75%-85% with K-Pro or K-Original briquettes. For 18" Kettle, I use about 10%-15% less.

However, I've recently started to do wings arrayed around a steel Vortex like cone I made. For long smokes and rotisserie, I use 2 Weber baskets flanking a disposable aluminum pan filled with water or apple juice in middle with protein above. I now re-use the same disposable pan over and over after a good rinse by the garden hose.

I really only use lump charcoal when I want a higher temp for extra searing power or for things like when using pizza oven accessory, etc. JD XL is my favorite lump I've tried so far.

Last edited:
I have a 22 inch Master Touch, along with the Weber char baskets and a SlowNSear. When it comes to direct heat/searing (steaks, burgers, etc.), I’ve found I don’t like either the baskets or the SnS:
  • The baskets are too small and don’t cover enough surface area. My steaks and burgers tend to require a larger direct zone to sear them all at the same time.
  • When using large lump charcoal in the SnS (i.e., Jealous Devil XL), I find that the lump coals are too close to the grate. I’m basically searing directly on top of the coals, which can actually seem too hot.
My question is - does anyone find the old school method of banking coals on the grate to be a better method for direct heat/searing? For what it’s worth, in watching Tuffy Stone’s Weber kettle videos, that seems to be his preferred method.

Thanks, and I’d welcome any thoughts or tips.
I have had success with old school banking coals, I also use Firebricks next to banked coals and I add a half moon or foil to the food side as a deflector.
I use banking method with lump for kalbi ribs, steaks or , wings. Burgers. If I do use larger coal baskets with lump. I don't fill it to the top.

I am no expert, with my experience, lump is better for hot and fast. I prefer high quality briquettes like B&B Briquettes when I am doing indirect/2 zone low and slow.

Other options are smoking ring coal baskets. Usually larger in diameter, holds a good amount of lump , but spreads it out enough to keep it lower off of the grate.

Also a Vortex turn upside down gives a larger area spread wider allows for a searing zone lower off the grate.

20231023_173850.JPG
20231022_193922.JPG

20150703_193442.jpg

Multi zone fire is easy to manage with some practice, you might try the use of a firebrick divider to give you a little more complete separation from hot to cooler zone or simply use less coal on the one side. I often use the baskets as a way to keep high heat in the longest section but still retain a cooler zone over each basket.

If it helps, here’s a couple photos illustrating the outrageous heat I get with the SnS. As you can see, I had to whip out the warming rack to grill the steaks because the flames were so intense.

I suppose I could use less coals, but with the size of some of the pieces of lump, I think the problem would persist when they are crammed into the SnS.
Grillgrates would help prevent those flareups. Not endorsing them, but they work for meskirt steak.jpg

I would agree that banking coals is a better approach for searing on a Kettle, especially if you have a larger quantity of protein (steaks, burgers, chops, etc).
If I have just a couple steaks I will use the baskets. But banking the coals allows for a larger area and you can increase the amount of fuel you use to make sure you have the area covered appropriately.
I try to remember to move the coals off the sides when I am done, as there is wear and tear with leaving those hot coals there after the cook.

I have had success with old school banking coals, I also use Firebricks next to banked coals and I add a half moon or foil to the food side as a deflector.
I use banking method with lump for kalbi ribs, steaks or , wings. Burgers. If I do use larger coal baskets with lump. I don't fill it to the top.

I am no expert, with my experience, lump is better for hot and fast. I prefer high quality briquettes like B&B Briquettes when I am doing indirect/2 zone low and slow.

Other options are smoking ring coal baskets. Usually larger in diameter, holds a good amount of lump , but spreads it out enough to keep it lower off of the grate.

Also a Vortex turn upside down gives a larger area spread wider allows for a searing zone lower off the grate.

View attachment 81809
View attachment 81810

View attachment 81811
Thanks for sharing. Very helpful.

Multi zone fire is easy to manage with some practice, you might try the use of a firebrick divider to give you a little more complete separation from hot to cooler zone or simply use less coal on the one side. I often use the baskets as a way to keep high heat in the longest section but still retain a cooler zone over each basket.
Thanks. I’ll have to look into the firebrick idea.

I'm in the caveman camp but have evolved to always cook in 2 zones on my Kettles.

I spread glowing coals on back half of kettle and keep the front half empty without using any kind of metal divider for my regular grilling (i.e. steaks, chicken fillets, burgers, zucchini, etc). I sear first over direct zone with lid open and then move to indirect zone with lid closed the rest of the way. For 22" Kettle, I fill a Weber chimney up about 75%-85% with K-Pro or K-Original briquettes. For 18" Kettle, I use about 10%-15% less.

However, I've recently started to do wings arrayed around a steel Vortex like cone I made. For long smokes and rotisserie, I use 2 Weber baskets flanking a disposable aluminum pan filled with water or apple juice in middle with protein above. I now re-use the same disposable pan over and over after a good rinse by the garden hose.

I really only use lump charcoal when I want a higher temp for extra searing power or for things like when using pizza oven accessory, etc. JD XL is my favorite lump I've tried so far.
Thanks. Very helpful.

I would agree that banking coals is a better approach for searing on a Kettle, especially if you have a larger quantity of protein (steaks, burgers, chops, etc).
If I have just a couple steaks I will use the baskets. But banking the coals allows for a larger area and you can increase the amount of fuel you use to make sure you have the area covered appropriately.
I try to remember to move the coals off the sides when I am done, as there is wear and tear with leaving those hot coals there after the cook.
Thanks so much. That was my presumption. And great tip on moving the coals off the sides to avoid wear and tear!

Back