Sealing bamboo cutting boards for outdoor use.

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I have a Large BGE with swing up side tables that are weathered and need help.

I have some low cost bamboo cutting boards that are the perfect size.

Can these be sealed to withstand some rain?

Doesn't need to be food safe as I always have food on sheet pans or other vessels.

20220731_154757.jpg

20220731_154703.jpg
These are the cutting boards if it helps.

20220731_155914.jpg

Last edited:
My long term plan is redwood to match my genesis 3 restoration but I'm moving slow on that...

If I get a year or two or three I'd be happy. The boards were about $10 on sale.

Dan, I would not use these. No matter how much I prepped, oiled, and pandered to these boards (indoors, mind you), they still cracked/splitted a couple of years later. This may be a good temporary solution.

I would screw'm down good and treat with Balistol which is basically aerosol mineral oil. I wouldn't worry about them cracking. They will still look good.

Use the mineral oil or equivalent and reapply every month or two. Wood of any kind outdoors will weather. Sand lightly if needed and reapply oil.

For all my boards, I've used a combination beeswax / mineral oil and they are amazing. You can look up the "how to" online. Buff them and they shine and seal and repel liquids easily. Need a recharge now and then. I scrub them and run them under hot water and they don't care...still all beautiful.

Warning...use a throwaway pot (or one you will reuse only for this!) to mix the two and beware that cleaning spills it is a B@#$9$#....don't ask me how I know.

Last edited:
I have teak on my boat.
I use teak oil treatment.
They even sell a product called liquid sandpaper or something like that to prep it for future treatment when the teak needs more work.
Bamboo and teak are some dense woods and pretty water resistant so that should work.
Those cutting boards look great BTW.

I use bee’s oil.. I have wipes treated with it as well as a tub of it.

Made by Tree Spirit. It’s a mix of bees wax and Mineral Oil. Salad bowl, cutting board and general wood preserver. The wipes stay outside and make the final cleanup after a cook super easy.

1659884590978.png

I use bee’s oil.. I have wipes treated with it as well as a tub of it.

Made by Tree Spirit. It’s a mix of bees wax and Mineral Oil. Salad bowl, cutting board and general wood preserver. The wipes stay outside and make the final cleanup after a cook super easy.

View attachment 56934
Nice find....this looks a LOT easier than making my own!! Was a messy job.

Back