Scratch made biscuits and the last of my cured and smoked bacon

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Made a quick batch of buttermilk biscuits and the last of the bacon I cured and smoked last week for breakfast this morning. You can see some of the small scrap cuts of bacon that got left to the end to use. Tomorrow's job get more pork belly to start the next batch of bacon. IMG_20201011_182504.jpgIMG_20201011_182458.jpg

Biscuits and bacon, the perfect pairing. We just had that combination a few days ago. Homemade biscuits, eggs, bacon and gravy YUM!

Rich, what type of gravy did you have with that?
Here's a recipe for a homemade bacon gravy we use and it's simple and pretty good.
If I'm being lazy we keep some Pioneer country gravy on hand, It's excellent for a package gravy you can get it at most supermarkets. All of the Pioneer package gravy's are good.
Homemade is the best but not the most healthy.

HOMEMADE BACON GRAVY

INGREDIENTS

6 slices bacon
2 tablespoons bacon grease
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Preheat a large skillet to medium-hi. Place 6 slices of bacon in the skillet and cook until just under crispy.
Remove bacon from skillet and drain; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
Add flour to grease, and whisk together. Cook for about a minute without burning the flour.
Add milk; whisk together.
Heat until bubbling. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until sauce starts to thicken.
Meanwhile, crumble bacon. Add salt and pepper (to taste), and bacon to gravy. Allow to simmer until desired consistency.
Serve over biscuits.

Last edited:
Here's a recipe for a homemade bacon gravy we use and it's simple and pretty good.
If I'm being lazy we keep some Pioneer country gravy on hand, It's excellent for a package gravy you can get it at most supermarkets. All of the Pioneer package gravy's are good.

HOMEMADE BACON GRAVY

INGREDIENTS

6 slices bacon
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Preheat a large skillet to medium-hi. Place 6 slices of bacon in the skillet and cook until just under crispy.
Remove bacon from skillet and drain; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
Add flour to grease, and whisk together. Cook for about a minute without burning the flour.
Meanwhile, crumble bacon. Add salt and pepper (to taste), and bacon to gravy. Allow to simmer until desired consistency.
Serve over biscuits.
I love sausage gravy, but I am the only one that eats it in my house. That was one of the few items my late father-in-law would admit he enjoyed that I made. And I would make it when he was around since there was more then one of us who ate it. I have never made bacon gravy, I need to try that also! I may have to cut you recipe in half for a single serving for me next time I make biscuits.

I love sausage gravy, but I am the only one that eats it in my house. That was one of the few items my late father-in-law would admit he enjoyed that I made. And I would make it when he was around since there was more then one of us who ate it. I have never made bacon gravy, I need to try that also! I may have to cut you recipe in half for a single serving for me next time I make biscuits.

Michael, I don't see why you couldn't cook up your favorite sausage and make the gravy the same way. I agree, I really like sausage gravy and Barb and I have a breakfast sausage recipe that we use, but it requires Penzeys breakfast sausage seasoning. I think I'll try some store bought sausage to get a little more grease first.
I'll give it a try and let you know.

HOMEMADE BACON GRAVY

INGREDIENTS

6 slices bacon
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Serve over biscuits.
Thanks Rich! I will try that. It is not something that I have heard of here. I like this forum as I can get new recipe ideas from other areas. I did buy some Pioneer gravy mixes when I was Stateside last year as they don’t have them here either. Got to get more next year if the border opens up again. 🙂

Back