Scores!!

Yah, those get lost from the kits pretty regular. My first roto didn't have one either. I clamped a small vice grips to the shaft to counter balance the meat.

is it required?
Rarely.

I've only used the counterweight once, on a large turkey. As long as the roti spins completely, without slowing down too much on the heavier side, it's not needed.

If you do need it, it's easy. When the roti hits that heavy spot, stop it, attach the counterweight so the weighted part of it is opposite of the heavy spot. I like @Bruce idea with the vise grips too. If I ever have to use the counterweight again, my lazy *** will break out the vise grips.

Last edited:
Rarely.

I've only used the counterweight once, on a large turkey. As long as the roti spins completely, without slowing down too much on the heavier side, it's not needed.

If you do need it, it's easy. When the roti hits that heavy spot, stop it, attach the counterweight so the weighted part of it is opposite of the heavy spot. I like @Bruce idea with the vise grips too. If I ever have to use the counterweight again, my lazy *** will break out the vise grips.
I use it whenever I am using the roto. There is some play in the drive gears in the motor and when the load goes past top dead center, it drops and causes the pressure on the gears to switch from pushing to pulling. Over time, that will destroy the gears as they are simply made of plastic. I can usually position the rod through the meat to get it pretty well balanced on it's own, but adding the counter balance is just a good idea IMO.

I use it whenever I am using the roto. There is some play in the drive gears in the motor and when the load goes past top dead center, it drops and causes the pressure on the gears to switch from pushing to pulling. Over time, that will destroy the gears as they are simply made of plastic. I can usually position the rod through the meat to get it pretty well balanced on it's own, but adding the counter balance is just a good idea IMO.
That sounds like sage advice.

Well if you ever get tired of storing the roti send me a PM and we can work out a price.
And by the way I really like the maroon lid as I rarely seen those, I have a black Silver C and would love a maroon lid.
Thanks for the Reply Kevin, I ordered the motor mount bracket that I found.

My Roto motor mounting bracket shipped today. Thank Goodness, I was concerned because Weber's was around $63. I was worried this bracket was hard to find because they are for pre 2007 Weber grills.
My Roto has all the other parts in the box and motor works fine so far, but I will need to test it on the grill. I am very Happy I found this one for it will fit on My Genny 1000. I just need to hurry up restore that grill. Every time I am set to begin another grill pops up that has a greater priority.

Back