School me on Summit Platinum rotisserie burner

I just ran the roti burner on high for 30 minutes and it settled at 340F. That's a bit low for a roti chicken, so I'd probably add a burner or two on low to bump that up a bit.

R
Rich, IR burners don't heat up the air, which is what I think you are measuring. You do need heated air (convection), though, to cook the protein all the way through, but IR is a means of heating surfaces via radiation. Think searing or crisping with IR, but not cooking, unless its very thin or delicate.

On a cold day, the Sun will still warm you via IR radiation without heating the air surrounding you...same principle.

Last edited:
Think of the IR Rotisserie burner as a light bulb. The hood thermometer will not accurately indicate the actual heat being applied to your food. It's kinda like the sun on a cold day. The air temp is still cold but the sun warms your body up nicely. Go in the shade the air temp does not change but you now need a jacket. That is how IR burner is.
I use the IR burner on my Wolf a lot. But, I do supplement it with the 2 outside burners (both or some added smoke and to simply add a little heat to the inside of the grill).

Rich, IR burners don't heat up the air, which is what I think you are measuring. You do need heated air (convection), though, to cook the protein all the way through, but IR is a means of heating surfaces via radiation. Think searing or crisping with IR, but not cooking, unless its very thin or delicate.

On a cold day, the Sun will still warm you via IR radiation without heating the air surrounding you...same principle.
Think of the IR Rotisserie burner as a light bulb. The hood thermometer will not accurately indicate the actual heat being applied to your food. It's kinda like the sun on a cold day. The air temp is still cold but the sun warms your body up nicely. Go in the shade the air temp does not change but you now need a jacket. That is how IR burner is.
I use the IR burner on my Wolf a lot. But, I do supplement it with the 2 outside burners (both or some added smoke and to simply add a little heat to the inside of the grill).
Thanks for the schooling, gents! I've never had a grill with an IR burner, so that should assist with the learning curve a bit. So, what you're saying, is my chicken will be somewhat like the back of my neck when I don't put on sunscreen during a cloudy day? 🤣🤣

If you are measuring the temp with the lid thermometer, that is going to be misleading as it is a long ways from the roto burner. When you spin a chicken, it is likely going to be just 4-6" from that burner and the heat at that point will likely be much higher than the overall interior grill temp.

EDIT: IT looks like others already mirrored my thoughts. I would try a chicken as is before turning on the bottom burners. Just keep an eye on it and if it isn't "crisping up the skin" enough, then flip on one or two of the bottom burners.

If you are measuring the temp with the lid thermometer, that is going to be misleading as it is a long ways from the roto burner. When you spin a chicken, it is likely going to be just 4-6" from that burner and the heat at that point will likely be much higher than the overall interior grill temp.

EDIT: IT looks like others already mirrored my thoughts. I would try a chicken as is before turning on the bottom burners. Just keep an eye on it and if it isn't "crisping up the skin" enough, then flip on one or two of the bottom burners.
First I need to find a suitable rotisserie set up! The motor that came with the grill is dead, and I have no spit.

Anyone happen to know a specific kit out there that will fit? Any of the current Weber models? The Weber #7653 looks like it might be close, but I can't find the dimensional specs for the spit rod anywhere....

R

First I need to find a suitable rotisserie set up! The motor that came with the grill is dead, and I have no spit.

Anyone happen to know a specific kit out there that will fit? Any of the current Weber models? The Weber #7653 looks like it might be close, but I can't find the dimensional specs for the spit rod anywhere....

R
This is where I would start.

Typically, you take the measurements of where the journals have to be on the spit rod and find one that matches or something close if you can't find an exact match. Some people use a bushing or grind/turn down the journal area to get it to match what you have.

FOR EXAMPLE:
1648316318986.png

I would recommend finding a motor, and a bracket that brings the motor closer to the cookbox, which would require a spit shorter than 42”. I have used a generic, and one of my Broil King motors on the Summit without a problem. Once you mount the motor measure the length of spit needed, then you would be able to modify it.

I would recommend finding a motor, and a bracket that brings the motor closer to the cookbox, which would require a spit shorter than 42”. I have used a generic, and one of my Broil King motors on the Summit without a problem. Once you mount the motor measure the length of spit needed, then you would be able to modify it.
Hi Bill! What is the offset (outside to outside) on your motor bracket? I have 5 brackets (3 gassers, 1 kettle, and 1 BGE) and they all measure about 3-5/8", give or take. I think all my brackets are Weber, with the exception of the BGE (Joetisserie).

1648321872196.png

Last edited:
So, as it turns out, OneGrill does not have a stock spit/rod that will fit the Summit Platinum 6-burner. However, I gave the outside and inside dimensions of the cook box to them, and they are going to machine a rod for me at no extra cost. Should be here at the end of the week, so I'll follow up with some pics (hopefully with a chicken on a spit!) :)

R

WOW, great CS there. But on a six burner, you should be able to put three birds on that spit.
I'll start with one to see how it goes with the IR burner, then I'll step up from there, Bruce. :) I'm looking forward to having a spin option in this grill!

R

Well, we are seeing some really great customer service on here today. Two good companies: QLimetal and OneGrill. Give them credit for not just using excuses to say "No." We are also seeing diligence on the part of members here being rewarded. Great job on both of these stories, guys!

I know that this picture needs more chickens, but just did a test fit and it's a winner! I know it's a bit long on the right side, but that doesn't bother me. No issue with the counter weight as long as I pop the top on the side burner (which I'm contemplating ditching anyway.) I'm a happy camper, and couldn't recommend more working with Jeff at OneGrill for your rotisserie needs!

1650331816540.jpeg

Last edited:
Still waiting for the pictures of those birds on the spit. I finally completed mine with a new Weber thermometer today, thank you Weber CS!

Back