Savory Dutch Baby

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Cranked out a savory Dutch baby for breakfast. Turkey breakfast sausage and feta.

This is the recipe I modified. We didn’t have mushrooms, shallots, or Gruyere or Swiss.

3 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound browned breakfast sausage (Iused a 1 pound chub pinched off pieces).
1/2 pound white button mushrooms, stems removed and caps cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 cup grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees F. Whisk the eggs, milk, flour, 2 tablespoons of the melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a bowl or measuring cup until smooth (a few lumps are fine); cover the batter, and refrigerate until needed.

Cook the sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up any big chunks with the back of a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes; transfer to a small bowl, and set aside. Lower the heat to medium, and add the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter to the skillet. Once the butter is bubbling, add the mushrooms, parsley, shallots and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage. Put the skillet in the oven to heat the mushroom-sausage mixture through, 2 minutes. Sprinkle the Gruyere evenly over the mixture, and carefully pour in the batter (make sure that the sausage and mushrooms are evenly distributed over the bottom of the pan). Bake until browned and puffed, 20 to 22 minutes. Serve immediately with salad.
AA0E4F9B-6EA7-4EB6-A119-4B2460E18A44.jpeg

You know Case, I’ve been filling them with so many things for so many years I’m shocked that I’d not don’t that particular filling trick! Buddy, you are an inspiration for far more than me I’m sure!
Typically, I allow the “pancake” to fully develop and fill pre plating. Not quite like an omelette but similar.
I’d be happy to find myself snowed in at your place or have you snowed in at mine, we would surely eat well!

Childhood memories, there, Case! My mom used to make dutch babies for us about once a month. She had individual round pans that she would preheat in the oven with some butter, and then ladle batter into each. When they cooked, they would puff up, curl and brown, coming out of the oven looking like footballs. I think I was 19 when I found out that what I'd been calling "footballs" all those years were known by the rest of the world as dutch babies! :)

Still a favorite around here, though have never done a savory one.....but I will now. Thanks!

R

OMG, this looks awesome! Did I read that correctly - serve with salad? I was thinking serve with morning coffee.

OMG, this looks awesome! Did I read that correctly - serve with salad? I was thinking serve with morning coffee.
Right??? Yeah the original recipe says that. We had no salad. In fact being the holiday I had a hot toddy. That almost never happens!

You know Case, I’ve been filling them with so many things for so many years I’m shocked that I’d not don’t that particular filling trick! Buddy, you are an inspiration for far more than me I’m sure!
Typically, I allow the “pancake” to fully develop and fill pre plating. Not quite like an omelette but similar.
I’d be happy to find myself snowed in at your place or have you snowed in at mine, we would surely eat well!
Tom I’ve also always let the baby be born before topping. This worked abviously didn’t get the major rise one normally gets but everything was set and the cake was silky. It was really good and I already have some other savory ideas I want to try in the future! It’s almost Dungeness crab season, hint hint!

Childhood memories, there, Case! My mom used to make dutch babies for us about once a month. She had individual round pans that she would preheat in the oven with some butter, and then ladle batter into each. When they cooked, they would puff up, curl and brown, coming out of the oven looking like footballs. I think I was 19 when I found out that what I'd been calling "footballs" all those years were known by the rest of the world as dutch babies! :)

Still a favorite around here, though have never done a savory one.....but I will now. Thanks!

R
That’s a great memory! Never had them as a kid but many other great meals my parents cooked.
Both my boys have grown up eating Dutch babies and it’s a frequent request. Usually sweet though, but this was a hit. Somwe’ll
Be doing this again!

You nailed that one Case, outstanding as always. Been wanting to try these Dutch babies, they look so good. Thanks for the recipe.

That’s a great memory! Never had them as a kid but many other great meals my parents cooked.
Both my boys have grown up eating Dutch babies and it’s a frequent request. Usually sweet though, but this was a hit. Somwe’ll
Be doing this again!
Let them fully rise.
They hold more ice cream...
Not sure I want I’ve cream with my sausage!

The guy that taught me about them called them “Basque pancakes” I love them in strawberry season, a pint of halved strawberries lightly drizzled with “Mandarine Napoleon” a spanking of powdered sugar and a fork!
I have made these for almost every girlfriend since high school! Get up early, make one up bring it back to bed...

I read a lot about food and cooking, but Dutch baby is a new one on me. It sure does look and sound like something I would enjoy. Thanks for tipping me to a potential new cooking item.

I read a lot about food and cooking, but Dutch baby is a new one on me. It sure does look and sound like something I would enjoy. Thanks for tipping me to a potential new cooking item.
You can see the more traditional non savory version in this post:

Dutch baby is what the local chain calls a small German pancake. I usually make them plain with no add ins. Then completely ruin it with lemon powdered sugar, strawberries. And large quantities of ice cream.

Last edited:
The guy that taught me about them called them “Basque pancakes” I love them in strawberry season, a pint of halved strawberries lightly drizzled with “Mandarine Napoleon” a spanking of powdered sugar and a fork!
I have made these for almost every girlfriend since high school! Get up early, make one up bring it back to

I have made these for almost every girlfriend since high school! Get up early, make one up bring it back to bed...
Same here.
Danger is that they will never leave, and eat. It is impressive breakfast. And you can fill it with whip cream too.

Try one of these this morning. Woke up real early* for me. Got this out of the oven and powdered sugar, lemon juice squeezed and plate. She walked right past and out the door. Tough crowd.

*I always get up by 6
Some times even before noon.

Attachments

• 20201231_100330.jpg
    20201231_100330.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 5

Back