Save this Baby Q from the dumpster

Steve Coffee

I can't take it any more!

I've used this little grill for probably 15 years. (Q 100?) That's how much I want to love it. But I've had it. I've eaten steamed meat for the last time. This grill is going in the trash, unless someone can turn me around.

I called Weber tech support a long time ago and learned about the Overfill Protection Device. I worked around that for years, but performance just seems to decline. Recently, I bought a new propane canister to eliminate that issue, and the performance is worse than ever. I have meticulously cleaned every last hole in the burner.

Is there anything more I can do?

Another poster writes "In my career as a gas fitter and barbecue salesman I have encountered literally thousands of people that have issues with their Weber Q grill not getting hot enough..." Maybe we should just admit that this grill is just poorly designed? Competing grills in this category are all rated with higher BTUs.

Well, maybe not a solution, but ive seen in summer time Costco carries a higher BTU grill similar to Q maybe 2000 series.
Here is a link for online:
https://www.costco.com/nexgrill-cast-aluminum-table-top-gas-bbq.product.100384628.html
Q100 looks to have 8000 BTU and Costco 13,000 BTU which is higher than Q2000.
For $120 on sale I would try that if you have a Costco membership. It also has the regular LP tank connector dont have to mess with bottles.
Based on reviews you can use an adapter for bottles, if needed.

Last edited:
Oddly it's the larger Q2xxx people seem to complain about the most re heat and recommend the little Q as the go to for higher output. Poor design? I think not. Operator error or perhaps a misbehaving part? Most likely. You don't indicate what gas source you're using (1 lb throw away bottles or the conversion hose with a 20lb tank). If the latter know that due to the design of that conversion (long hose taking full tank pressure to a small low pressure regulator) the rig is prone to misoperation and failure. Some things to try. A new hose, always turn the grill off THEN the tank NEVER the opposite as the sudden "slug" of flow will trip the OPV. When turning the grill on be SURE the control valve is OFF. Turn the tank on VERY VERY slowly literally just "cracking" the valve on the tank. Wait 20 sec or so, then continue to open SLOOOOOOOOOWLY. Only then turn on the grill and attempt to light it.
If you're having the issue using 1lb cylinders then my guess is you have a clogged burner, (here a replacement or good cleaning will help), or a bad regulator. A simple exchange of the new part will suffice.
I have cooked on my friend's little Q1xxx and I can tell you that your complaint is unique to your grill as his cooked some ribeyes I took there VERY well with excellent searing.

I let all my grills heat up and stabilize for that long. So nothing new. The grill that can be turned on and used immediately is yet to be invented, though the actual infrared grills come close due to actually cooking with light waves

All 3 of my q200 grills heat and cook just fine. Using the 20lbs tanks on two and small tank on the other.
You must have a failed part somewhere

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was a little vague. While I have been using a 20-lb tank for a long time, I recently switched to a 1-lb canister, and the performance is, if anything, worse. As I said, I have thoroughly cleaned the burner., chiseling at each and every hole. Should I shoot the regulator?

Regulators for Q grills are expensive unless you remove the stock one and replace it with a standard hose and regulator designed for a 20lb tank. That is what I would do if I was you and wanted to run off a bulk tank anyway. The only downside is that you lose the ability to use the 1lb cans.

They're not really expensive. Only $25 or so and yes get a new regulator. If you call Weber and you're the original owner they may simply give you a new one

I have never seen them as low as $25. The ones I have seen were usually closer to $50 than $25, but I haven't looked for several years. BUt, calling Weber might wind up being a good move. Can't hurt to try.

If you want me to explain how to convert the grill to a new hose and regulator for a 20lb tank, let me know. It is easy. I have my personal Q200 set up that way and I have everything ready to convert my camping Q100 to a straight hose. Total cost would be around $20. You can have as long of a hose as you like. Also, having the regulator down near the propane tank eliminates a lot the chance of tripping the OPD on the tank as well.

3JbkOZR.jpg

XVEQF2w.jpg

B72FQSY.jpg

Last edited:
I did that conversion for my daughter's Q200 I bought for her years ago. I did it though because it was on the larger cart and she had no intentions of it being "portable". The advantage is the conversion is FAR more reliable but than you're stuck always needing a large tank if you take it somewhere.

Yep, don't do it if you plan on taking the grill on a trip like camping or tailgating unless you also plan to drag a big tank along.... The best situation would be to find one of those 5lb small bulk tanks for that situation.
But, if you plan to use it stationary most of the time, then it is a good option as Larry points out.

Sounds good steve. Even if that doesn't solve the problem, that old burner was probably getting to the point it was going to need replacing pretty soon anyway.

I think you're wasting your money on the burner. A burner cannot make any more heat than the amount of gas it's given and in your case your description tells me gas is not getting to the burner

That is the same setup I have. Sourcing the parts on line will likely be a lot cheaper than what his were. It should be a $20 or less conversion. You can get everything you need on amazon.com

Back