Sausage on coals?

Dave Wr.

TVWBB Member
A friend of mine bought some sausages from Whole Foods and after his camp fire burned down to coals -he put them directly on the coals. He said they were the best he ever had! I've heard of putting steak directly on coals but not sausage? I would have thought they would have he burned to a crisp but he said they didn't. Has anyone ever tried this?

Yes - definately on wood coals - I haven't tried it yet but my mouth was salivating listening to him describe it!
icon_razz.gif
The sausages were organic, no hormones, no gristle yada yada - I'm sure that had something to do with it also...

too much surface area & too delicate of casing IMO. I love to build out a little corner on the fire pit, drag some coals into it, throw a grate over it, & cook there, but it sounds like a good way to ruin some meat to me.

I've only tried the caveman steaks once, we were camped @ 11,200' (just below lone peak in SLC this summer)... I really prefer my meat cooked on a grill - I didn't care for the char or ash.

I was thinking the same thing re: the casing - but he said they didn't burn and when he turned them - he just brushed off the ashes.
Next pit fire I'm going to give it a try (but I'll keep a few aside for the grill just in case
icon_smile.gif

I'd put them on a stick. Or maybe on a rock surrounded by embers. I don't understand the idea of putting steak on the coals either unless literally there was no other option.

putting meat directly on coals (briquettes or otherwise) gets one helluva sear.

I think sausages would be good cooked on the coals if done properly.

Steak cooked on the coals is amazing.

Sounds like I'll be doing an experiment tonight. I've done steaks on coals a few times and I thought that the steak put out the coals directly in contact with the bottom (no air = no burn)and the steak cooked on top and the sides from the surrounding heat. Then I had to turn the steak over to cook the other side. It might depend on the size of the coals. I did it on log fires last time. I'll try it with lump this time. The lump may stay lit underneath.

I’m interested as well. If you are using sausages with animal casings, I'd guess that they will burst because of the high heat, but I have never tried.
Normally I heat natural cased sausages quite slow, and measure the inner temp with my thermapen to find out when they are done.

1st, Everything taste's better outdoors
icon_smile.gif

We used to do steak on a stick. Sear it on the wood coals and prop it on a stick to whatever doneness you like. Some of the best steak I've ever had.

010.jpg

On the coals results:
One ribeye and two sausages. The sausages I made with natural hog casings and had smoked a few days before to 160 internal. I doubt if the pic will work, they rarely do for me.
The steak went about 2.5 minutes per side total. When I turned the steak over, some of it was nicely charred. Four or five coals had stuck to the bottom and had to be knocked off. The meat was gray in those spots since the meat had smothered the coals there. Once the steak was halfway cooked, the coals stopped sticking I turned it five or six times to get more even cooking. The fire was too hot for the sausages. It only took about 30 seconds for them to burn. The finished steak was a little past medium rare I pulled it at 121 deg. If you are a big fan of charred flavor, this method provides a bunch of it. It pretty much over powered the taste of the beef. Not a bad flavor, just strong. I suspect that had I used raw sausage, they would burn up before the inside was cooked. Look like another thing to try.

Great pic's and report DaveB. Thanks for posting. That steak looks Good! Over a campfire, turning the links frequently might help with precooked. I see what your saying about uncooked sausage. Or suspend just above the coals.

Thanks for the update DaveB! - I'm not sure how my friend cooked his (raw) sausages on the coals without having the same results you did
icon_confused.gif
I'll be seeing him tomorrow and see if I can get clarification on his method. Only thing I can figure is that the coals must have burned down considerably with a lot of ash cover...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
A friend of mine bought some sausages from Whole Foods and after his <span class="ev_code_RED">CAMP FIRE</span> burned down to coals -he put them directly on the coals. He said they were the best he ever had! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's your answer right there. Manly techniques like cooking on coals and sticks work far better out in the wild away from the confines of the domestic environment.....but sausage in casings?
icon_confused.gif
Maybe he had a beer or three on an empty stomach and was just really hungry?

DaveR - you hit the nail on the head - the wood embers were "well" ashed over and the sausages were put on towards the end of the fire. The ashes must have created a considerable "pillow"/buffer from the remaining hot embers - therefore not burning the delicate sausage skins. I suppose if your still hungry at the end of a camp fire - this would be the time to cook them
icon_smile.gif

Back