Sauce Ingredient: SOY Sauce

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Yesterday I did some reading...research on rubs and sauces. Paul Kirk writes about using worcestershire sauce and soy in much the same way. No.5 sauce users know i use W but have not tried soy. Kirk seems to use both in equal parts...
Anybody use much soy sauce? Perhaps with a pineapple sauce?

I use soy and pineapple for my huli huli chicken recipe that reminds me of the fantastic road side stands on the North Shore of Oahu. ...but I've not used it in BBQ sauce like the No. 5 sauce.

Steve,

I use low sodium soy sauce in teriyaki sauce. I used this to make wings on the Weber for the SuperBowl. It is also awesome for grilling pork chops or basting pork roast. I also use a combo two parts red wine, one part Worchestershire, one part soy sauce, and one part A1 (with minced garlic - lots of it) to marinade steaks for the grill.

Regards,

John

There are long guides to soy sauce as well. Basically you want to look for naturally brewed soy sauce, not the easier-to-make chemistry set stuff that often fills grocery shelves. Of course, it is a matter of personal taste. To me Korean and Japanese soy sauces are more interesting. To my Filipino wife, they are less interesting and she prefers the Filipino soy sauces she's eaten since childhood, though she is starting to use the Korean versions in her cooking more. Most of the discussion centers around Japanese and Chinese versions. There are Thai, Indonesian, Malay, and so forth versions out there, all a bit different, all worth checking out for your own personal preference when you have a chance.

Serious Eats Guide: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/do-you-know-your-soy-sauces-japanese-chinese-indonesian-differences.html

Steve, soy sauce is quite high in natural glutamates, as are mushrooms and several other foods. They amplify the natural flavors and savoriness (umami) of foods, especially in beef, in my opinion. I rarely cook beef without adding just a bit of soy sauce; but not so much that it can be detected. I add it to the ground beef I use for burgers too. Like mushrooms, which are almost as high in glutamates, it accentuates the beefy flavors.

I suspect you already knew that, but others might not.

So, yes, I do add some soy sauce to barbecue-style sauces on occasion. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes not. Pineapple and soy are great together.

Rita

Last edited:
I recently just bought some Ponzu sauce which is a lime flavored soy, mirin, rice wine vinegar sauce, and I like it on everything.
I've never used it in a traditional BBQ sauce, but it might work.

Nice article Steve A, as I found a homemade Ponzu recipe which I've been meaning to try out.:)

Tim

Thank's for pointing that out Dave.
I'll look for the yuzu next time I'm in the produce section..

Tim

Back