Saturday's chicken

My wife's favorite recipe: "Rotisserie Chicken Brined in Herbs and Buttermilk" from Purviance's "New American Barbecue" book.

This time I cooked it at 400-425 degF, as discussed on a recent thread about getting crispy skin on a rotisserie. Worked pretty well; cook time dropped from 90-100 minutes to 60.

(Did get just a little burning on the high points when the temp popped up to 450 deg before I caught it, but it didn't scorch the meat underneath.)

You can't see it, but the drip pan is filled with sliced carrots cooking in the juices. In the past I've always cooked new potatoes in the pan, but I'm reducing my carb intake. The carrots worked out well; thinking of trying sliced turnips or even beets next time.

IMG_8105-s.jpg

Looks fantastic. Did you get your crispy skin? It looks like it. I was wondering why yours is a little blacker than mine at lower temps than mine, so I looked up the recipe. It is the sugar. There is another thread on it here. https://tvwbb.com/threads/buttermilk-rotisserie-chicken-brined-in-herbs-and-buttermilk.82636/
Yep, it was crispy without being overly "hard".

I attributed the burning to the sudden bump in temps (lasted about 10 minutes), because the bird is patted dry of the brine solution and coated with EVOO before cooking. There could be enough residual soaked into the skin to account for it, however.

Very nice cook Grant, but you lost me with the turnips. :cautious:
I have that book; I'll look the recipe up and give it a try but with baby carrots and Brussel sprouts.

Very nice cook Grant, but you lost me with the turnips. :cautious:
I have that book; I'll look the recipe up and give it a try but with baby carrots and Brussel sprouts.
You never know...could turn out to be great!

Of course, they could also turn out to be little pooh nuggets. You can be sure I'll let everyone know when I do it!

Back