Saturday Night Pies

EricV.

TVWBB Guru
It was way to hot & humid for this, but I committed to it earler in the week.

Attachments

• Kettle Pizza.JPG
    Kettle Pizza.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Pegged.JPG
    Pegged.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 31
  • Margherita.JPG
    Margherita.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Sausage & Red Pepper.JPG
    Sausage & Red Pepper.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Sausage & Shrooms.JPG
    Sausage & Shrooms.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 29
  • BBQ Pulled Pork.JPG
    BBQ Pulled Pork.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 30
I'll try to bake a pizza in my kettle tonight. I'm curious about your fire setup: did you use wood chunks/logs or charcoal, or both? Can you share ho you get such a nice heat? 700°F is a crazy good temperature for a kettle. Congratulations for the pizzas!

I have a Pizzaque all assembled and have never used it! It’s been hanging on the wall in the garage for five years! I need to find my old broken, rusty chimney and fire that thing off if I can have pizza like that, I’m with Fabien, what was the fire management direction on this?

I'll try to bake a pizza in my kettle tonight. I'm curious about your fire setup: did you use wood chunks/logs or charcoal, or both? Can you share ho you get such a nice heat? 700°F is a crazy good temperature for a kettle. Congratulations for the pizzas!
I have a Pizzaque all assembled and have never used it! It’s been hanging on the wall in the garage for five years! I need to find my old broken, rusty chimney and fire that thing off if I can have pizza like that, I’m with Fabien, what was the fire management direction on this?
Here is picture of the initial fire set-up. If you are not familiar with the Kettle Pizza, I have also attached a link to their web-site that illustrates some of the items/pieces that I am talking about. My version has an aluminum basket similar to the Weber baskets, it attaches to the rear of the kettle. Once the wood pieces that are on top of the charcoal light up, you can maintain temps by sliding more wood chunks into the basket. I also use a stainless baking lid that helps keep the heat in.

Fire set-up, I start by placing some unlit coals in a half circle. Once coals light up from my trusty beat up chimney, pour the lit coals on top of the unlit coals. Since my chimney doesn’t hold as much anymore, I also used a small Weber chimney as well. Then I add the 3 splits of wood to the coals, see picture. Once the logs catch on fire, I then place the SS baking lid on. From the time I dump the lit coals into the kettle it takes around 1 hour to come up to 700 degrees. To maintain the fire temp, I continued to add more chunks of wood to the basket. I baked 5 pies in about 30 minutes.

Wood is the key to getting the high temps & you need to keep the fire in the half moon configuration to prevent the pizza crust from burning. You also need to keep turning the pizza to ensure even baking.

Attachments

• Fire Set-Up.JPG
    Fire Set-Up.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 10
Here is picture of the initial fire set-up. If you are not familiar with the Kettle Pizza, I have also attached a link to their web-site that illustrates some of the items/pieces that I am talking about. My version has an aluminum basket similar to the Weber baskets, it attaches to the rear of the kettle. Once the wood pieces that are on top of the charcoal light up, you can maintain temps by sliding more wood chunks into the basket. I also use a stainless baking lid that helps keep the heat in.

Fire set-up, I start by placing some unlit coals in a half circle. Once coals light up from my trusty beat up chimney, pour the lit coals on top of the unlit coals. Since my chimney doesn’t hold as much anymore, I also used a small Weber chimney as well. Then I add the 3 splits of wood to the coals, see picture. Once the logs catch on fire, I then place the SS baking lid on. From the time I dump the lit coals into the kettle it takes around 1 hour to come up to 700 degrees. To maintain the fire temp, I continued to add more chunks of wood to the basket. I baked 5 pies in about 30 minutes.

Wood is the key to getting the high temps & you need to keep the fire in the half moon configuration to prevent the pizza crust from burning. You also need to keep turning the pizza to ensure even baking.

Thanks Eric. Great pics and explanation!

Folks had to love that you followed-through on your commitment; those look awesome.

Can we see a pic of your small Weber chimney? :p

Shall we start a GoFundMe for a new chimney? Looks like you’re just at the beginning stage to need a new one 😊🙃😊🙃😊🙃

Pizzas look great and solid method too.
No on the funding, it's all good! I have these new ones waiting their turn. I still think I can get a little more out the old ones, Lol!

Attachments

• IMG_3382.JPG
    IMG_3382.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 4
No on the funding, it's all good! I have these new ones waiting their turn. I still think I can get a little more out the old ones, Lol!
To really christen the new ones right, you should light coals in the old one, then place the paper wrapping in the new ones and then dump the lit coals into the new ones. This way you’ll get the same flavors and mojo and juju your old ones provided, valiantly, over their many years of highly dedicated service. ♨️♨️♨️🍺

Back