Salt Lick Brisket question.

Nick Cosby

TVWBB Fan
I was recently on the site for the famous joint and noticed that they have a cook book out now with recipes galore and some family history. I noticed on the photo of Robert prepping a brisket that it looked like it was trimmed, but I really couldn't tell because of the fact it was the bottom of the meat. Does anyone know if they do trim their brisket?

I don't know the answer, but a friend of mine in the Lone Star State told me that trimming a brisket in Texas, is the equivalent of stealing a horse, and that you could be hung for the offense. :)

I've been to salt lick but I can't remember it was too long ago and I was too in love with their beef rib. As far as trimming typically goes, I suggest trimming down to 1/4 to 1/8 of and inch on the fat cap. The idea is to serve with that fat on and well rendered. I'm going to guess they trim it more though. A very bad local place here doesn't trim but I saw them take out a beautiful brisket with beautiful crust and take that fat cap along with the crust and cut it off before serving it to me. I could have cried. A lot of people want their brisket flat with no fat and tasteless. To each his own, I guess.

Their sauce is very interesting. I'm not a sweet sauce guy typically but their's had some pineapple or something in it due to some Hawaiian heritage in the family. It was good on that beef rib!

I'm sure they do, not all the fat of course. Did you know they use gas cookers? That big pit is just to get some "smoke flavor" on them and for show I'm sure. Shoot they didn't even make the Texas Monthly top 50. I've never been but some people I know say it's fine.

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-salt-lick-bar-b-que-2011/

For a great tutorial on trimming brisket check Franklin BBQ videos on youtube. Great resource for brisket!

I was aware of it, just didn't wanna rain on anyone's parade. Daniel Vaughn the tmbbq guy is pretty much a strict no gasser guy. I'm sure at one time they cooked everything on those open pits but the place got too big. It does a ton of business. It's probably the first place I traveled out of my way to go to, BBQ wise. It was the best I'd had at the time.

Their sauce is very interesting. I'm not a sweet sauce guy typically but their's had some pineapple or something in it due to some Hawaiian heritage in the family. It was good on that beef rib!
I have to admit that the Salt Lick sauce is my far and away favorite for brisket. It's not that good on anything else, but it does something great on brisket. I've been to the Lick a couple of times and enjoyed the experience. I asked one of the cooks how many briskets they did on a weekend day and he said 100+. I believe it. When you go there, you notice lots of chimneys spewing smoke -- they obviously have a huge "back room" where they do the smoking. The pits are just to warm up to food before serving and they are a great visual.

Back