2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. ground cayenne
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground dried sage
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Source: "Savoring Spices and Herbs-Julie Sahni-1996

Not only is this good rubbed on your steaks, but you can add 1 tsp. to your rice water.

Spicy Seasoning Mix

3 TB. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper

Joan, Thanks for posting these. I'm on a salt restricted diet so these will be tried. Always on the prowl for salt free or low sodium recipes.

Joan, Thanks for posting these. I'm on a salt restricted diet so these will be tried. Always on the prowl for salt free or low sodium recipes.
Hi Rich, I know, I read your other post. That is why I posted these.;) I'm still looking for more. Hope you can use them.

This is good on steak or pork, but even better on chicken.

Southwestern Rub
Makes 1 1/2 TB.

1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Source: Weber's Big Book of Grilling-Jamie Purviance-2001

I'll have to try this! The wife and I make a lot of rice in the rice cooker. I'm always looking for ways to spice it up!
Hi Lee, same here (well, not in a rice cooker. lol) Can't wait to try this also. Thanks for letting me know.

Here you'll find a bunch I wrote for this forum 10-15 years ago. I rarely mix salt into rubs, far preferring to salt the meat first, allow it to sit, then apply the rub over the salt. Works best for adherence and because there is no salt in the rub you can use as little or as much as you want without affecting the salt level, not something you can do with typical rub mixes.

What KK said!!

If you do a salt only dry brine (highly recommended) an hour or a day before, then you need to do a salt-free rub before grilling.

Otherwise you get a double salt dose.

Another great source of salt free rubs is https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/rubs-and-pastes/. He is a firm believer that salt should be added separately so you can control it. He recommends 1/2 tsp per pound of meat. Then add the rub or rubs of choice that don't contain salt. I have used several of his rubs and they are amazing. My favorite is the Simon and Garfunkel rub. He says it is for poultry but I love it on a prime rib or any other cut of beef. Try his rubs and you won't be disappointed.

"Commercial adobo usually contains MSG." A good reason to make your own. And it's salt-free. ;)

Adobo Seasoning

1/4 cup sweet paprika
3 TB. ground black pepper
2 TB. onion powder
2 TB. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
2 TB. ground cumin
1 TB. chipotle chile powder
1 TB. garlic powder
(makes about 1 cup)

Source: Field Guide to Herbs & Spices - Aliza Green

bumping (sorry, a little late) for those who are making pop-corn tonight but can't have salt.
No apologies necessary Joan. You put a lot of work into this. Probably deserves a pin from Chris just as a resource file. A lot of people have to have no or low salt for health reasons, and this is a boon for them.

Back