Salmon on a Poplar Plank

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
A friend of mine told me this simple recipe a few years ago and it became part of our grilling meal rotation.

Very easy and delicious, in my opinion.

Salmon steaks
Dijon mustard
Brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

3/8” thick poplar plank, soaked in water at least a few hours - around 5” x 10” works

Rub the salmon steaks on all sides with Dijon mustard and cover for around 30 minutes

Place the steaks on the soaked poplar plank, sprinkle with brown sugar, and add salt and pepper to your taste

Place the poplar planks on a preheated grill - M-L-M on the Genesis 1000

Grill for approximately 25 minutes, move to a plate and enjoy6E6719DB-3711-4774-A5F1-B23520CC0443.jpegD73A2A65-8544-4969-9559-99365C458590.jpeg

I had to grill a piece of marinated chicken for my mom- added 10 minutes before the fish was done

AEF034F2-D589-4977-9D01-48D02DB83544.jpeg

One of the planks flipped over after the fish was done
95E5DE2D-F269-42C3-96E7-0C5A1F5E4A7A.jpeg

Dinner is served- salmon, quinoa and spring mix on the side
4B7C2816-47B8-4F30-9A8B-879090DA3032.jpeg

Do you reuse the planks? What does the plank do for or to the fish? I found 2 cedar planks for $1 each but have not tried them yet.

I'm allergic to Cedar so this is a like!
Where do you source your planks?
I work in architectural woodworking.

We use poplar frequently, and cut offs are readily available to me, fortunately.

And I plane them to 3/8 thick which seems to be a good thickness for this.

Do you reuse the planks? What does the plank do for or to the fish? I found 2 cedar planks for $1 each but have not tried them yet.
The Planks can only be used once and then discarded.

For the record, I have never cooked on a cedar plank before, but I know this is the common wood used for grilling.

I think wood planks soaked in water allow the fish to be more or less steam cooked on the underside and browned on the top and sides?

Anyone have a better explanation?

Heck yeah reuse them. Just give them a good scrub with a scouring pad after the cook. I bet I've reused planks a half dozen times. Now I'm too lazy, I just cook on foil (indirect)

I reuse cedar planks until they won't hold salmon. I scrub them and leave them in the sun. I soak for a few hours if I remember to start soaking them in time.

When they are no longer useable, I toss them on hot coals when cooking pizza to get oak chunks on fire

Last edited:
John, how long do you soak the planks ? Thanks
Steve- if I can, I will get the planks in water in the morning for an afternoon/ evening cook.

As it happens, yesterday I was making a smoked brisket for dinner and a last minute guest required a non meat meal, so I soaked a plank for around two hours- I think the plank had a little more char on the bottom but the salmon steak turned out well.

Steve- if I can, I will get the planks in water in the morning for an afternoon/ evening cook.

As it happens, yesterday I was making a smoked brisket for dinner and a last minute guest required a non meat meal, so I soaked a plank for around two hours- I think the plank had a little more char on the bottom but the salmon steak turned out well.
Thanks John !

Back