S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin/George, thanks for your replies. I think it will be the SJG. It wont ever really be a grill, just a mini WSM.

My smokey Joe is very similar to yours. Mine doesn't need the vent mod to be a mini-smoker.

If you are going to grill on it, that's a different story.

By the way, congratulations. Free is my favorite price.
icon_wink.gif

if anyone can confirm this is the correct item, I'll place my order for one this weekend on the site! I have checked at over 10 walmarts all over PA not including 3 lowes, 2 home depots, a k-mart, and 3 hardware stores. We just don't have people steaming tamales here i guess? Thanks!

It looks the same to me. Besides Walmart has a great return policy. I once saw a woman return a pair of jeans that the clerk said they didn't even carry. They gave her store credit.

Guys - I just stumbled into this thread - but what a great original idea here!

I have a couple questions - I didn't read every post so I apologize if this has already been answered.

1.) It seams that the SJS can still be used as a grill when not smoking - why can't the SJG? Is the SJG modified in some way and I missed that?

2.) Here's the one I'm interested in - if you own a WSM is there a reason you would want to smoke on the SJS rather than your WSM? I understand that the SJS cooks for 1-2, but can't the WSM cook for 1-2 just as easily? Or is it more of a charcoal efficiency thing?

Don't get me wrong - I'm starting my CL search today for a SJS to join the club!

Thanks guys.

Brian N.
The 32 qt Wallmart steamer on their website is likely the IMUSA model. I bought one locally at Wallmart, and it was the IMUSA model. Target still lists the IMUSA 32 qt steamer for $19.95, plus shipping, also available thru Amazon. I bought another one at my local Target for $19.95, but likely only available where there is a large Latino population. LDW

Originally posted by b mauro:
Guys - I just stumbled into this thread - but what a great original idea here!

I have a couple questions - I didn't read every post so I apologize if this has already been answered.

1.) It seams that the SJS can still be used as a grill when not smoking - why can't the SJG? Is the SJG modified in some way and I missed that?

2.) Here's the one I'm interested in - if you own a WSM is there a reason you would want to smoke on the SJS rather than your WSM? I understand that the SJS cooks for 1-2, but can't the WSM cook for 1-2 just as easily? Or is it more of a charcoal efficiency thing?

Don't get me wrong - I'm starting my CL search today for a SJS to join the club!

Thanks guys.

1) It's not that the SJG can't be used as a grill. It's just that the way it is made (with the intake vents ABOVE the charcoal) creates air flow problems that prevent it from getting and staying really hot as a grill...which I think is exactly why it makes such a good low and slow cooker. However, I haven't heard anybody with a silver complain about temps getting out of control. But it seems like if they ever did, you'll have to chock back the bottom vent which could easily lead to an ash choking issue. That's why I think if it's going to be a dedicated smoker, the gold would be a better choice. However, if I was going to only buy one smokey joe (and use it as both a grill and a smoker) it would definitely be the silver.

2) It's mostly a charcoal issue, but also, the little smoker is easier to work with. Mine is on a table at eye level (no bending over), the middle and top portion of the cooker only weigh a few pounds (plus meat) and I like the fact that I can bring the tamale pot section inside to load up the meat and just carry the whole thing out as one piece. The other thing good about this is it only cost about 35 bucks in parts if you already have a SJ verses $300.
At about half the capacity of a big WSM at only about 10 percent of the price, it's a great way for a cash strapped person to stick their toe in the bbq waters.

One more thing just to clarify. The smokey Joe smoker isn't limited to just cooking for 1-2 people.

The last time I used mine (I think the pics are just one page back in this thread), I cooked 2 large pork butts. They were over 7 pounds each so it was a little over 14 pounds total.

We were able to feed 12 people with that much meat and then we froze 3 pounds of leftovers.

Originally posted by b mauro:
Thanks Justin - Even though I don't need it - I want one!!

I didn't "need" one either. I wanted it for an ABT/Fattie cooker.

I do think it's less hassle to fire up the mini than the regular wsm.

well, i did a first burn/smoke with no meat in my mini. now it has a nice tan inside. i used the lower plate that comes in them as a heat difusser. i'm working on a grease/oil catcher that will go under the top grate and hold a foil pan or such. just do not want a big mess. or i might try something else. we will see.

George,

I picked up my steamer, marked it with a compass, and was set to cut out the bottom when I thought about your post. You said you used the steamer insert as a heat diffuser. Is there any advantage in cutting out the bottom? Any thoughts as to whether it would be more advantageous to just drill holes in the bottom? You'd seem to have a heat diffusing bottom and a more structurally sound smoker section. I'm looking back and forth between the dremel and the drill. Any advice is appreciated.

Interesting thought. You could try it and see how it works. If it doesn't work, you can always go back and cut out the bottom later.

I agree with Justin that there seems like little to lose by trying. One benefit is that the bottom with holes would retain more structural strength than removing the entire bottom. Possible disadvantages would be the aluminum not withstanding heat directly above the coals and a restriction on location of a water pan. I think my water pan extends slightly below the bottom edge of the pot.

It's good to be thinking about other ways to do this so keep it up! I'm getting ready to make a couple more to give to our sons so I'm interested in alternatives.

In general, I'm really really pleased to see the interest in this modification. I'm really happy with mine and only too happy to share.

using it as a diffusser is just an option. you could try just drilling holes but thats a lot of holes ! as to the structure, i find it rather stiff still with the bottom cut out as long as its cut the way pictured with the bottom curve left on. i think you have more options cutting out the bottom but its up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back