S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great first post, Kevin. Those paint jobs look amazing. I would like to have a big red drum smoker with StL Cardinals logo.

Very cool smokers!

I made a mini-wsm last week and gave it to my buddy for a wedding gift. It was the first one I had painted... Looked great. Now I need to clean up mine and paint it too.

Got a spanking new smokey joe...tamale steamer arrived yesterday. Gonna make a mini-wsm for my daughter and me. Thanks all, for the inspiration. Will post pics!

I've got more going on with this. I wanted to add thermometer eyelets so I looked at a couple of on line vendors. But I recoiled in horror when I saw that one wanted $30 to ship three sets via UPS.
icon_mad.gif
(The other vendor was closer to reasonable, but the $$$ were really adding up. And then I remembered that I needed 4 sets.) So I went to my local hardware store and came back with these.

DSC_1614-PP.JPG

That's the smallest eyelet they have and it's just right for the temperature probe. Here are two installed with one probe partially out to provide a size reference.

DSC_1617-PP.JPG

I used one of those step drills to make the holes. These eyelets won't replace the bolts that hold the rack supports in WSM, but for the cost savings I can deal with an extra hole in the shell. I'm thinking about it now and realize I could probably get by with one eyelet. Maybe I'll do that when I build out this mini for our newly wedded son and his bride:

DSC_1611-PP.JPG

(SWMBO requested the green one from Crate and Barrel.)

And of course no post is complete w/out pictures of the mini in action. Here's an experimental smoke. I recently acquired a large piece of oak and wanted to see what flavor it would produce. I made some chicken legs and a piece of ground beef, both otherwise unseasoned so I could see what flavor the oak would impart.

DSC_1618-PP.JPG

just finished off a smoke of two fatties and a spam. not sure i noticed it before but this time i had a bit of moisture inside the lid. anyone else notice this ? i havn't checked but i used the little can with holes in it so i'll check how that worked later.

I'm getting ready to build one of these, any last minute advice?

Do I have this right:

Original cooking rack goes in the bottom of the pot then clay then next rack with 1 or 2 above that if wanted?

Glen:
There are several ways. You can put a Weber rack on top of the belt, placing the ceramic disc on top, as you indicated. You can also modify the steamer shelf which sits on top of the belt, by cutting out the center, to hold the disc.
On the second one I built, I bought two 13.5 accessory racks at Academy Sports(one in Jackson and another in Gulfport), installing one in the very bottom of the kettle, sitting the rack on top of the hole I cut out of the bottom. In this case, do not cut the hole as large, leave enough edge to secure and hold the 13.5 grill. Then sit the disc holder rack in the very bottom. To keep it in place, I drilled small holes in the bottom edge, wiring the ceramic rack in place. I used the second 13.5 accessory rack as the bottom grill, installing the hangers just above the belt. I have found that using the 14" weber rack in the bottom is a real hassle, since it is very tight, when the kettle is smoked and greasy. Email me at larry943@gmail.com, and I will email photos.

LDW

Wow,wow,oh,wow.
I wish someone would have told me about this thread when I started the one asking if I really needed a WSM.

This is exactly what I need. I rarely smoke for more than 4-6 people. Also perfect for smoking fatties, piggles, MOINK balls, and other goodies.

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
Wow,wow,oh,wow.
I wish someone would have told me about this thread when I started the one asking if I really needed a WSM.

This is exactly what I need. I rarely smoke for more than 4-6 people. Also perfect for smoking fatties, piggles, MOINK balls, and other goodies.
Hi Tim,
I find that I use my mini more than my WSM because the size is more convenient. However I still use the WSM from time to time when I have a larger quantity to smoke that would not fit in the mini.

One thing I wonder about is ease of use - getting it right. Having learned how to control temps in the WSM, I find it just a bit more difficult to do so in the mini. I think the mini requires more skill to get good results and having the WSM to learn on gets you off to a good start.

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:

Correct! The mini is perfect for making bbq goodies. It makes a great fattie and moinks. I do find that it gets a little hot for ABTs though.

Thanks for the info Walter.
Smoking on a mini cant be any harder than using a 22.5" kettle. I am sure I will have to practice some to figure out what works. But that is half the fun, right?
I noticed you converted a SJS. I was thinking of getting a SJG as the vents are on the side kind of like the WSM. Either way I do have a couple of sets of WSM 3 hole dampers in my stock pile that I can put into what ever I get, if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back