S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
john, there must be an asian or mexican store near you that carries them. maybe check wal mart ? i got one from wm on sale for $10. don't give up !! i can sell you that pot if you want but not sure of shipping !

George, I appreciate the offer! I checked on walmart.com & although no store had one within 50 miles they would ship me one for only $3.95.
According to the pots dimension on the website it's the correct one.

John,
As George suggested, I check my local wal mart regularly, and we have some of the China made IMUSA pots in stock. If the one coming to you from wally world doesnt work out, let me know. we may be able to save a few dollars in shipping coming from a little closer. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Tim

Originally posted by Kevin Houde:
Here is my mini WSM next to its big brother.
icon_smile.gif

I actually use the mini way more than the UDS.

Kevin, Those look great! What paints did you use to paint the logo and mid section of the mini smoker?

Hi folks,
Just wanted to check in and say I'm still enjoying this thread. I still love and use my mini-WSM.

I finally got around to doing something about the problem with ash plugging the bottom vent holes. I got a HUGE can of applesauce, drained it by puncturing the sides of the can with a can opener of the church key style. I wanted to leave the flat end of the can intact so no ash would fall through there. I cut the can so it would fit under the charcoal grate and did what I could to dull the sharp edge.
icon_wink.gif

It seemed to work really well. I know others have spoken about this mod so I'm just posting to say - don;t wait - Do IT!

best,
walt

Wish they had one at my local walmart.I ordered one a couple of weeks from wm ago and that sucker got lost.
They said they would send one to my house....my patience are running thin !!!

Originally posted by JHunter:
How about a pic Walt?
I was thinking about that when I posted.
icon_wink.gif

DSC_3574-PP.JPG

This is the ash guard in action following following a three hour smoke. You can see how much ash resulted. The holes visible were the only ones still open. Here's another pic with the guard sitting on top of the charcoal basket so you can see approximate size.
DSC_3576-PP.JPG

The guard fits pretty snug between the ends of the screws that hold the legs to the bottom shell. On its first try it worked great for 3 hours. Ordinarily temperature tends to taper off as ash builds up, even if I try to clear the vent holes. This time temperature climbed steadily even as I stopped down on the bottom vents. Based on the amount of ash, I'm not sure it would work too much longer. However I'm going to give lump a try. I picked up a bag of Royal Oak lump today. I've read that lump produces less ash.

Originally posted by george curtis:
i use a can that is 4x2 inches. works perfectly.
I went for the biggest can I could find. Now I see that a smaller can would actually work better because it provides more volume for the ash to fill before it blocks the vents. I guess I'll have to find a smaller can.

So I needed a large cheap pot to boil some jars in. This week I was at Kroger and for $20 they had a 32 qt aluminum pot. Got home, boiled the jars and then thought, where am I going to put this thing.... then I remember coming across this thread awhile back. Just checked and it's the same model. Guess I need to pickup a SJ!

Oh boy,My tamale pot came in from WM today.I can't work on it until Monday though......Headed to a bluegrass festival in Perry Florida tomorrow.

Question: Have any of you had a problem with the pot not fitting the bowl as well after cutting out the bottom? Mine seemed to fit better before I cut the bottom out of it. I left 1" - 1 1/2" rim on the bottom, but now the pot can rock slightly from side to side when it is placed in the bottom bowl of the SJS.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Barry McCorkle:
... but now the pot can rock slightly from side to side when it is placed in the bottom bowl of the SJS.

Thoughts?
Either you didn't notice the problem before you made the cut or you tweaked the pot during the cut. The metal on mine was pretty thin so it wouldn't be too hard to bend it.

First try rotating the pot in the base just to see if the two do match up better at some point. Next I would note the points where it seems to rock. If there are obvious high spots on the pot where it contacts the base, try to straighten them out. If not, just try to gently squeeze the high spots together. Gently would be the key word as you don't want to go too far.

-walt

Walter, thanks for the advice. I thought I checked fit before cutting, but maybe I didn't fully check it. Looks like I will need to gently smooth out the rough spots. You are right about it being thin and easily bent, so I may have done something and not realized it. I'll let you know if I am able to fix it.

mine fits like a glove but if you put force on the side of the pot it will slip over. the ridge in the sj is curved and so is the edge of the pot. its to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back