S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of reasons I like the gold better.

1. Air holes are at the top where the fire is located. They can't be clogged so the air can always get to the fire.

2. All the ash that collects at the bottom, makes clean up super easy.

3. No mods to keep the SJS holes clean during cooking.

4. No little tray to keep clean during the burn.

5. No charcoal ring needed (I have packed the SJG tight, and all the wood still lights).

That said if you already have the SJS the ash can mod should work fine, but if you are going to buy one, get the SJG.

JHunter: I like the idea of drilling holes instead of cutting out the bottom. However, why do you need a pie pan as a diffuser when the bottom is now the heat diffuser? Is it more to catch drippings?

The holes in the bottom do work well. I used it in my first go around. The reason I cut the hole all the way out is because:

1. It left bigger stains in my kitchen when I set it down.

2. The bottom looked like it was wearing out pretty fast from the heat. I had MUCH bigger pieces cut out than John Ford.

3. I had to have something to catch the drippings anyway.

4. I wanted the option to NOT use the difuser to cook. This is a bad idea as your food will burn.
icon_smile.gif

5. I wanted to do an 8 hour smoke, and cutting the bottom out lets you add more charcoal. I haven't done the 8 hour yet, but I am pretty sure I can do it (if I use stubbs).

I think the holes are great and will make quick work of the mod. You don't need the pie pan as a diffuser if you keep the bottom in tact and let the smoke in through the holes.

John what do you use to catch drippings?

Oops! I should have addressed my question to John Ford. It was his pictures and description that I had a question. Sorry about that. That's what I get for navigating the forum on my env touch phone. However, thanks JHunter for your response! That's good info.

I use a flower pot base at home, & a steel pie pan when I move it. I had both around the house. Just like an empty aluminum fry pan will warp if heated empty I felt the aluminum bottom might melt without a Heatsink.
I've gotten 9 1/2 hours with briquettes before refueling with mine. I've got at least 100 hours on mine & so far holding up well.

One thing to think about if your choosing between a SJS/SJG... If you intend to travel and grill some with it too then the SJS might be your best bet just because the issues SJG has grilling. I like having one that can do it all myself. That can mod took about 30 seconds cost no money and smoking is a breeze on my SJS. And SJS are more widely available on craigslist. These little things are tanks just like the full size kettles.

Well gents, with your pictures, instructions and advice, I have finished my mini smoker, except for the painting. I wanted to show you my final setup.

I never could find a 12" pie pan, so I found a 9" pan with a large rim that makes it a 11" diffuser.
IMG_0252.jpg

Then I installed 3 1-1/2" screws into the indentation of the pot to support the heat diffuser. This allows my bottom grill to sit on the ridge of the indentation, seperate from the heat diffuser.
IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Installed 4 screws (if I was to do another one, only 3 would be needed) at 4" from top of pot for the 2nd grill.
IMG_0256.jpg

I've installed the carriage bolt in the bottom vent control, and now only need to paint the unit black to finish it off.

Barry...

Its soooo clean...
icon_smile.gif

Looking good and believe it or not you can get a third rack in there if you needed to at the very top. Love the big lipped pie plate...

Jay

Looking good Barry !!!
The pie pan looks good.How did you do the bottom?
I cut my 8-5/8 inch holes (John Ford}style.I was going with a 12 inch pizza pan I had laying around,but I do like the pie pan.I'll decide before tomorrow when I pick up my bolts and nuts.
Thanks everyone for your help ....It sure makes life easier for us beginners.
I remember John Ford and some others made it easier for me when I done my modifications on a FatBoy on another forum.

I cut the bottom out leaving 1 1/2" to the edge. If I do another, I think I would go with the drilled holes in the bottom. I could not find a 12" pizza pan, which was my original plan for a diffuser. I ran across this pie pan for $5 at Ace Hardware where I bought the bolts and extra grill grate.

i may redo mine. i cooked at to high a heat and the drippings burned and left a bad tasting crust on my butts. well ,not that bad tasting but its a problem. was my fault and not the smokers but i did see a problem that for me i need to fix. the diffuser/drip tray is just to close to the coals.

thats the problem. i know what the problem is, me ! but it started me thinking about the way the system works for me. i have the diffuser plate sitting where its normally made to do. i put a trivet on that and then a 12" plate to catch grease, etc. but being so close to the coals it can get very hot so any grease hitting it will litterally char up. anyway it got wet and messy inside with burning residue getting on the meat. a bit bitter but not as bad as one would think. but its not what i'm normally looking for nor how i want the system to work. i was busy doing other things and i just plain didn't pay attention and let the temp get to high for to long. so now i'm gonna fix it so that any drippings will not burn. at this point i'm gonna rigg it so that the drip tray, not the diffuser, will sit just under the grate. this will hopefully cure the problem.

Originally posted by Barry McCorkle:
I never could find a 12" pie pan, so I found a 9" pan with a large rim that makes it a 11" diffuser.
IMG_0252.jpg

That's a pan coated with non-stick...any idea if it will burn off and get on the food?

Originally posted by Chris Hill:

That's a pan coated with non-stick...any idea if it will burn off and get on the food?

I saw that too, and since we are low smoking it shouldn't be a problem. You need 500 degrees for the ptfe's to release. Should be fine if not too close to the fire.

j

OK, I have ditched the non-stick pie pan due to health concerns with it being in contact with open flames and it had a tendency to slide off the screw mounts. So, I returned it to Ace and exchanged it for another item that I like better. Ace carries cheap ($5) table top grills that have a 12" base and is 1 1/2" deep. It fits perfectly and is very sturdy with 3/4" screws holding it in place. If you notice in the picture, there are open slots on the side of the pan, so I have placed a pie pan in it that I can use to catch drippings or hold water. I all I have to do is line the bottom of the diffuser with a sheet of foil, wrap pie pan with foil and it's ready to cook.

The smoker has been painted and a thermometer added so now I am finally finished! Here are the final photos:

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Barry you just keep coming up with ideas.....I like that even better.Don't forget to foil the drip pans for easy clean up.
I'm ready to see some smoke !!!!
I finished mine yesterday,but been busy today....Maybe I'll smoke it tomorrow.

John you are really a good friend......I know he will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back