S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting my build tomorrow and was wondering if you were to do it again what would you do different.

btw,John Ford....is that the Lost Arrow ???

Glen that's a great question.

1. I would go with a 9" pie plate for the difuser. Inexpensive and easy to find, and doesn't chip.

2. Get a good thermometer and put it in the at the mid point of the pot. (Most people have done this and I have stubbornly left it on the top. But leaving it in the middle means you only mod the pot not the lid).

3. Started with the SJG, and not even bothered with the SJS. Its just to easy with the SJG.

4. Been patient and bought the pot on sale.

5. Find less expensive racks for the 2nd and 3rd racks.

Good luck with it. You will be LOOKING for things to smoke/cook on it once its finished.

Jay

JHunter: Where and how do you put the pie pan in the smoker? And, why 9" size pie pan - is this to allow more heat to the cooking grates?

The 9" pie pan because they are easy to find and cheap. Ideally a 12" pie plate would be used but they are harder to find and cost more money.

Here is a 12" pie plate that should work perfectly...

http://www.amazon.com/Allied-M...ie-Pan/dp/B0001MRSDY

Two ways to mount it. Use longer screws to hold it

OR

Set it on top of the lowest grate.

I prefer the former as you can put the grate on top of the pie plate and have an extra level of cooking.

Jay

i've found several 12" pans at second hand stores. i use the original diffuser and put a trivet on top of that and the pan on top of the trivet. works perfectly.

George,

Some folks said they found 13" grates at Academy Sports. I used the charcoal grates from a 18" weber one touch. Heavy duty, but rusts easily.

Originally posted by glen jones:
I'm starting my build tomorrow and was wondering if you were to do it again what would you do different.
I would make my expanded metal charcoal ring as big as could fit in the bottom section.

I would measure the height from the bottom grill to the underside of the dome and divide that in half to determine how high to mount the top grill. I think I went a little too high.

Other than those two I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Originally posted by WalterWhite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:
I would make my expanded metal charcoal ring as big as could fit in the bottom section.

I would measure the height from the bottom
grill to the underside of the dome and divide that in half to determine how high to mount the top grill. I think I went a little too high.

Other than those two I'm pretty happy with what I got. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Built my second one yesterday as a wedding gift to a young couple we know.
Used 3 bolts for each level 1/4 in long.
For my holes in the bottom drilled (8) 5/8 in diameter openings with a step bit came out much smoother.
Using a steel pie pan as a heat diffuser.
Second build took about 2 beers ( 1 hour) , including painting , looks a little better than my first.

Originally posted by John Ford:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WalterWhite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glen jones:

I would measure the height from the bottom
grill to the underside of the dome and divide that in half to determine how high to mount the top grill. I think I went a little too high.

Other than those two I'm pretty happy with what I got. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Built my second one yesterday as a wedding gift to a young couple we know.
Used 3 bolts for each level 1/4 in long.
For my holes in the bottom drilled (8) 5/8 in diameter openings with a step bit came out much smoother.
Using a steel pie pan as a heat diffuser.
Second build took about 2 beers ( 1 hour) , including painting , looks a little better than my first. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
John would it be possible for you to post a picture of the holes you drilled in the bottom? I may have missed something but this is a detail I haven't heard of before.
Thanks, Mike

I think academy sports has the smaller/cheaper grates. I my self bought 2 smaller grates, only to turn around and buy two weber SJ grates from Ace hardware. I just didn't really like A) how much the smaller grates were able to slide around, B) I didnt like the look of the longer bolts needed to hold the smaller grates in place. IMHO it wass worth the few extra dollars to get the weber grates.(but thats just my $.02)
Tim
Mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Mike , I leave the bottom in mine to make transporting it easier. Mine works fine & for tailgating I can pack everything for cooking in the SJS & the pot.

342cb069.jpg

0e0c38f4.jpg

Mike , I leave the bottom in mine to make transporting it easier. Mine works fine & for tailgating I can pack everything for cooking in the SJS & the pot.

342cb069.jpg

0e0c38f4.jpg

Thanks for replying so soon John, that is a slick idea to drill the holes and leave the bottom pretty much intact. I am also struggling with which model to use for the mini. Some prefer the SJS and some the SJG. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks again, Mike

Take a look at my latest creation to compliment the Mini Cajun Bandit. (Smoker Joe thread)

I salvaged a steel vacuum canister, cut the bottom out, and it seats perfectly on the bowl of an SJS, that I plugged the bottom vents and drilled three 3/4" holes the same location as the Tuck & Carry vents and use magnets to control the intake like my UDS's, expando charcoal ring on the SJS grate, a stainless steel dog bowl from the pet shop for a water pan/heat sink amd cook grate 4" from the top.

It will also fit on top of the Mini Cajun Bandit for multiple grate cooks.

Let me know what you all think?
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0039023/m/2271080016

Originally posted by JHunter:
George,

Some folks said they found 13" grates at Academy Sports. I used the charcoal grates from a 18" weber one touch. Heavy duty, but rusts easily.
Season the great like a cast iron skillet.
Clean , spray with Pam, heat in oven @ 400F or put on grill . Never wash after! Brush ,then wipe with moistened rag.

Mike, I'm very happy with the SJG as a tailgating grill & smoker & Jay Hunter has used both for a smoker, feels the SJG makes a better smoker.
I don't think the gold works as well as a grill as the silver.
George even if half the holes get blocked there is enough area of the holes to still work well.

Mike, I'm very happy with the SJG as a tailgating grill & smoker & Jay Hunter has used both for a smoker, feels the SJG makes a better smoker.
I don't think the gold works as well as a grill as the silver.
George even if half the holes get blocked there is enough area of the holes to still work well.

Thanks John, looks like it will be a SJG for me as well!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back