S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by RodneyS:
I am cooking on the deck- about 4 feet from the window. The SJG is in an aluminum oil pan that has water in the bottom. This is the best location to have the necessary windbreaks.
\My question is can the smoke enter the attic through the overhanging soffit (sp.?).
YES. Just think how good the house will smell in the morning!

If your fire stays lit, and it will you will be fine.

Three fist sized pieces of apple will put out a LOT of smoke. All you need is one piece of wood for this. I think you will be fine because apple is mild and pork can usually handle a lot of smoke. But save your wood for more cooks...

uh... can't speak to the overhang...

Thanks for all the input everyone. It smells terrific! I will post pics tomorrow when I figure out how to do it from my iphone.

John, thanks. I was about to go to my friend that works at a welding shop and build a charcoal basket. Glad I got to you wen I did!! Thanks again, Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by george curtis:
this started out as a simple smoker. as does happen the mods and exoectations of the smoker keep getting higher and higher. but there is and will be a limit to everything. i think overloading the poor thing is going to get folks poor results. so just as a reminder, if you have poor results one way or the other, go back to the simple version and start again from there. don't blame the cooker.

You are probably right but I'll experiment with my idea and see how it goes. Hope to have a report here in the near future. Just a couple of tweaks and you could potentially cook 2 huge butts on this thing. Couldn't resist giving it a shot...

You are probably right but I'll experiment with my idea and see how it goes. Hope to have a report here in the near future. Just a couple of tweaks and you could potentially cook 2 huge butts on this thing. Couldn't resist giving it a shot...

Two butts???

Been there done that..

Originally posted by JHunter:
Here is the butt cook, biggest take away is that I can cook for 8 hours at 200 degrees, probably longer. Next biggest take away is that I had too much charcoal, and too much ash.
IMG_4325.JPG

First Butt on the bottom rack.
IMG_4330.JPG

Second Butt on the middle rack...

IMG_4354.JPG

Lots of coals for a nice long burn. Lots of hickory, too much for anything but a pork but.
IMG_4373.JPG

I said there was a lot of smoke. That's not burnt, that's flavor!!!

IMG_4375.JPG

Like I said lots of Flavor!!!

IMG_4379.JPG

And the pay off!!! home made slaw came out great too...

I learned a lot on this cook, but cooking 14lbs of meat is absolutely possible with the mini. If I can get my temps up to 400 degrees during a cook, this may become my favorite cooker. I would like to get better legs, and a better ash bucket, and better anti ash clogging. I know I could get better ash control with lump, but I don't feel safe using it on my deck.

Jhunter,
Where/how did you put your bottom food grate in that cook?

I don't see any screws on the outside of the bottom of your pot for the bottom rack?
Judging by how high your coals are you had to of put the planter on the indentation grate spot and not the bottom of the pot? Is the bottom grate just resting on the planter? Thanks for the help and forgive my slowness.

The screw holes are in the steamer indentation. I put the flower pot on those screws and rest the great directly on the flower pot.

From there I just guestimated how far to put the second/middle rack so that it could clear a butt or a chicken (I think 5 inches but I don't remember).

So split the difference between the steamer indentation and the top of the lid for the most room. I have PLENTY of room for coals and meat.

Jay

Got it jhunter. I'm still planning on trying my idea first because it will limit the holes I'm putting in the pot (only 4). I can always drill more if needed. Thanks for the help

Definitely try it out your way. But most of us have settled on open bottom, and a difuser because it works really well.

The closed bottom with the holes cut in should give you a pretty good cook, but when I brought the pan into the house to load or empty the cooker it left too much dirt behind.

Originally posted by dksmith17:
Got it jhunter. I'm still planning on trying my idea first because it will limit the holes I'm putting in the pot (only 4). I can always drill more if needed. Thanks for the help

Make sure the area of the holes you drill is equal to or larger than the area of the top vent holes.

If I can get my temps up to 400 degrees during a cook, this may become my favorite cooker.
Jay, I would start by adding another vent to the lid. Some pics here and here, if you haven't seen them already.
Nice lookin PP. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Mac McClure:

Jay, I would start by adding another vent to the lid. Some pics here and here, if you haven't seen them already.
Nice lookin PP. Thanks for sharing.

I had not seen that, thanks for sharing. And that would probably get me up to 400+ degrees. Time to do another mod!!
icon_smile.gif

Jay

11 hour cook on the mini!
Loaded my SJG mini to the gills with briquettes & 3 apple chunks, put on a 6 lb butt.
At 8 1/2 hr temp dropping to bout 200F, added about 3 lbs charcoal, 2 wood chunks & 2 racks BB ribs . At 11 hours pulled everything & shut vents still running 225F!
Finished ribs on the grill, the butt broke in two as I lifted out of cooker.
Very easy to add fuel, just lift off pot & pour. After the fuel went out cleaning up the ashes were almost up to the charcoal grate.
I'm guessing in 70F wether the limit is 12-13 hours.I'm happier the more I use the cooker!
Ate the ribs , butt will become boudan in the near future.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/Lostarrow-photos/7ac5d062.jpg[/img] ] 

John you are using the gold right? I don't think you can get that amount of cook time with the silver even with the can, because the ashes would cover up the holes in the can.

LOVE the idea of adding ribs to the cook after 8 hours. I assume the ribs went on your top rack, and the butt stayed on the bottom.

AWSOME stuff...

Jay

This little thing is the ticket! I have a fattie on mine right now. I loaded the bottom with 30 unlit, and added 8 lit. Threw about 10/12 pecans, (nuts, not wood chunks) and a few pieces of apple cilps. Within 15 minutes it was up to 285, and by the 20 minute mark it was settled at 250. Pics to follow, For dinner, I'm firing it up again and throwing a meatloaf on the top rack.
John, man that butt looks good!!
Question, have you noticed that since you' made this mini, do you find yourself using the mini more, and the WSM less?

Tim, I made mine for tailgating, but was pleasantly surprised how well it did for longer cooks
icon_smile.gif

My wife & I are empty nesters, usually hang with the same ,most cooks are for 2-6 people.
I have used the SJG mini for most cooks since I built it. It uses about 1/2 the charcoal as my WSM & about 1/3 of my offset. Easy to clean, & mine is "Set & Forget"
Friday nite cooked for my brother in law & a good friend & sold them both , making one for each for my cost & 12 pack Sam Adams.

The pork butt I made for my wife's school turned out great. I took it off after 11 hours, having added about 20 charcoals about 5 hours into the cook. There were some left when I finished.

Saturday I cooked chicken in it. It turned out great also.

The only trouble I am having is finding a pan the right size to use as a diffuser. I used an dutch oven cast iron lid for the buts, but it did not catch all the grease from the butt, and it seemed to leave a slight handle indention on the bottom of the pot. I did not use anything from for the chicken cook, and that was a mistake.

Just a little while ago, I added a thermometer in the lid. I left room to potentially put in another top vent for higher temps.

I agree with John Ford. It is a lot more efficient than my 22 WSM and a lot easier to add extra charcoal. I bet it uses less than 1/4 of the charcoal- and clean up is a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back