S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ tim: Sorry for late reply. Busy with work and school this weekend. i have NOT started the mini yet. Pre calc is kickin my butt right now so i have to focus on that. haha. i used the SJG, not the SJS. so i wont have the ash problem. However, i dont want cooks any longer than 5 hours anyway.

School doesnt permit me to relax. HAHA

Im using a pie tin for my heat diffuser and drip pan. i run into issues with clay saucers because it takes to long to get to temp. i like to cook between 275 and 300 for my BBQ. And i use no wood because for some reason my taste buds cant handle smoke flavor and charcoal flavor at the same time.

Anyway, me and the girl are way excited to try it out next week sometime

thanks.

It finally Came! My SJG arrived today aroound 1-ish and by 3:00 It was lit and going strong. I decided to do my first fattie on the mini's first run. I posted pics of the smoke in the 'Photo Gallery'. I can already tell, this is gonna be a fun little smoker to use!
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

my wal mart has the 32 qt chinese made tamale steamers on sale for $10 . so check yers out.i bought 1. was thinking of getting another but a guy asked me about it and went and got the last 2.

***? are you for real?

man i paid twice that much. Oh well.

im gonna be finishing up the lil R2D2 this friday and makein some killer thighs and or wings

for real. i almost fell out of my wheelchair. i still thought something was wrong but we had a gal check it and she said that was correct.

I'm in the process of making my Mini now. All the parts are gathered just doing the final planning now. I really want to maximize my space and want my ceramic planter as low as possible but I want it to last also. In other words I don't like the idea of using the bottom of the pot and just poking holes. That seems like a fairly temporary fix and also seems like it would get real dirty on the bottom. And I also don't like the idea of using the steamer plate they give you. So I was thinking of cutting about a 9 inch diamater hole and then using a 10inch SJ replacement grate to sit on the actual 9 inch hole. Then I would get a 10 or 8 inch ceramic plate and put that on the 10 inch grate. That way my ceramic plate is at the lowest possible point. And then I could put my first food grate where the indention spot is on the pot. Has anyone tried this? Does this seems to work? Any problems with having the plate that low? And maybe there is something else besides a 10inch replacement grate people are using that is sturdy? I can't seem to find any 12inch grates around where I live.

Thanx for any help

I just received my SJG yesterday. I already have my pot. I plan on using the "John Ford" method of drilling holes in the bottom. I do have a few questions: what are people using for grates in the pot? Smokey Joe charcoal grates? Also what is the optimum spacing if I want to Q chickens and butts 2 at a time, and possibly use 3 racks for ribs? I have a 22 WSM but it is to big for most cooks for just the family.

Originally posted by RodneyS:
I do have a few questions: what are people using for grates in the pot? Smokey Joe charcoal grates? Also what is the optimum spacing if I want to Q chickens and butts 2 at a time, and possibly use 3 racks for ribs?

I've read a ton so I can help a little. Most seem to using the 14in weber replacement grate you can buy at any Home Depot or Lowes. Some are using an off brand from Academy sports that is 12 inches, probably have a lot harder time finding those- I couldn't find anything like that near me.

For spacing... pretty much whatever you can imagine is possible. You have around 12.5 to 13 inches or so to do whatever you want with grates. 5 to 6 inches height seems enough for most butts so I'm doing just 2 grates 6 inches apart or close to it. For 3 grates they would obviously have to be smaller.

this started out as a simple smoker. as does happen the mods and exoectations of the smoker keep getting higher and higher. but there is and will be a limit to everything. i think overloading the poor thing is going to get folks poor results. so just as a reminder, if you have poor results one way or the other, go back to the simple version and start again from there. don't blame the cooker.

I just received my SJG yesterday. I already have my pot. I plan on using the "John Ford" method of drilling holes in the bottom. I do have a few questions: what are people using for grates in the pot? Smokey Joe charcoal grates? Also what is the optimum spacing if I want to Q chickens and butts 2 at a time, and possibly use 3 racks for ribs? I have a
22 WSM but it is to big for most cooks for
just the family.
I geared mine for tailgating. Leaving the bottom in the pot & using the SJG allows 2 easily carried parts with enough interior space to carry the grates, charcoal, wood & a coffee can charcoal starter all contained!

bdf0d7db.jpg

I just received my SJG yesterday. I already have my pot. I plan on using the "John Ford" method of drilling holes in the bottom. I do have a few questions: what are people using for grates in the pot? Smokey Joe charcoal grates? Also what is the optimum spacing if I want to Q chickens and butts 2 at a time, and possibly use 3 racks for ribs? I have a 22 WSM but it is to big for most cooks for just the family.

I use the charcoal grates from the weber 18" OTS, ~$9.00

As far as spacing for two butts or chickens, make your center grate tall enough to clear the first chicken or butt.

The second chicken/butt will fit. There is no 'optimum'.

One word of advice... You can definitely over think this mod, but the pleasure of it is that its simple. Cut the bottom out, drill 8 or 12 holes for screws, and get a diffuser and some extra grates, done. Everything else is to your liking.

Look at the posts/pictures you should have a good idea of what's possible. 36 wings, two whole chickens, two whole butts, etc... Have fun with it...

Jay

I am putting everything together now and rubbing the butts. For a diffuser I am using a cast iron Dutch Oven. It is 10.25" in diameter and 4.75" tall. I am resting the bottom grate on it.

Think there will be any problems with this setup? My wife's b-day is tomorrow. At her school all teachers bring food for everyone else when it is their b-day. This needs to work tonight!

Rodney, the only problem may be that it may take a while to heat your CI pan. (IE the CI pan will be youe heat sink, and that heat sink may absorb alot of heat.) That in itself, isn't really a problem, it may just require a little more fuel to complete your cook. But as it was stated earlier, thats the beauty of these things, there really isn't a 'wrong' way to do/build it! Good luck with the butts, and a happy birthday to your wife!
Keep us posted, and remember, PICS,PICS,PICS!
John,
I have been meaning to ask you, did you build a charcoal ring, or do you just fill the bottom of your SJG and let it eat?(so to speak)
Thanks, Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

UH-OH! Just went outside- and it is super windy. I put a wind break up on 3 sides- but that is the best I can do- how will this affect the cook- especially with using the cast iron dutch oven for a heat sink.

What about using just the lid of the cast iron skillet- would that be sufficient? Another concern is with the lid (and the dutch oven) only being 10" wide.

Rodney, Step back and take a deep breath!!
The wind can be your enemy, that is true. It will shorten the fuel usage. Do not worry about the dutch oven, it will do what you intend it to do! Just check on the temps every so often, and you will be fine! BTW, how many unlit coals did you start with, and how many lit coals did you add? Also, how long did it take to get up to 220?
The end result will be some primo pulled pork, sit back and enjoy the ride!
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I went with the dutch oven lid instead of the dutch oven. I wrapped it in heavy Aluminum foil- adding extra on the bottom (actually the top of the lid) to balance out the handle. The top of the lid (actually the bottom of the lid- but I have it upside down) is concave- it will catch some of the grease coming off the butt.

I filled the grate as full as I could with blue K- easily 50+ briqs. I also added 3 fist size apple chunks.I lit the charcoal with 3 weber wax firestarter thingys. The fire has been lit 30 minutes. The temp is up to 140 now.

I have at least 3 thermometers with probes that are in a box somewhere in the garage but I cannot find any of them. I have a a low end maverick that I am using now with the probe dangling through the top vent. This probe only goes to 180. So I hope it will get to temp, but not to high. (We are moving soon and have already starting packing- unfortunately I have placed all the packed boxes in front of the shelves in the garage.)

Hope to have it done 11 hours from now. It weighs about 8 pounds.

I am cooking on the deck- about 4 feet from the window. The SJG is in an aluminum oil pan that has water in the bottom. This is the best location to have the necessary windbreaks.
\My question is can the smoke enter the attic through the overhanging soffit (sp.?).

JOHN
I have been meaning to ask you, did you build a charcoal ring, or do you just fill the bottom of your SJG and let it eat?(so to speak)

I built a charcoal basket, but it worked better just to fill it up without the basket.
Not all my ideas are good
icon_biggrin.gif

7b4646a7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back