S J. Gold Mini WSM Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
issue number one:

If i cut out the bottom and leave a 1/2 inch shelf, what size or how do i get a cooking grate passed the steamer ring holder?

thanks

Matt:
The grill that I used to hold the heat sink/grease catcher is the one from Academy Sports($3.95), and is 12.75" in diameter. Much larger, it will not go past the steamer rack indention. I attached by drilling holes in the edge of the barrel bottom edge, using wire to keep it in place.I used the rack as a template, making the cut out, then cutting the hole about 1/2"-3/4" smaller than the grill rack being installed. I use a 12" planter base for the heat sink, but you can probably use the 10" planter base. Both planter bases are about 1/2' smaller than the stated diameter.

Here we are so far:

GEDC0826.jpg

the whole i cut was about 9 and 3/4 inch diameter

GEDC0827.jpg

my dad helped me out a bit. He was curious and we have been wanting to do some things together since i am always at school or work. Its nice to live at home. get to use all the tools

GEDC0830.jpg

GEDC0829.jpg

GEDC0831.jpg

and this is for her. the lovly girlfriend. she wanted one bad she said.

Yup, there he is! he actually play santa for the city and familes around here.

The fender with the falmes is our 41 chevy 414 CI. we just bought a new 4 speed tranny and a drag racing ratchet shifter for it!

oh mna, its gonna scream. i cant wait to drive it

Matt, to say I am jealous is a huge understatement! First, My SJG isnt scheduled to get here until Monday, the wait is killing me!!! I wanted to smoke a Bston Butt for the Super Bowl, guess not.
Next, my dad passed away almost 14 years ago, seeing the photos of your dad helping you, really brings back some memories. Treasure the times, even the simplest events become treasured memories! Good luck on the first smoke, post some pics and keep us posted!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks. i will be cookin on it next week sometime. The girlfriend wants some meatloaf or chicken.

yeha my dad wanted to help so i let him. We have been workin on things like our ATV, hot rod and my smoker! its been interesting. haha

thanks for lookin. I hope your SGJ will get here saturday or friday. Or even thursday. that would be cool.

Having a bear of a time trying to find a 32qt pot for a reasonable price here in Canada. Any Canadians find a pot and if so, where and how much?

Anyone want to make me one?
icon_eek.gif

Mike:
You might consider ordering from Wallmart and having it shipped to a store in NY for pickup, although I notice that they show it is out of stock on their website. Shipping is free to the local Wallmart.

That's probably what I'll do, order for local pick up in Buffalo once they are back in stock. I can wait, but I must have one in time for tailgating next Sept.!

MIKE:

One thing you might try, go to a store that sells commercial cooking/restaurant supplies, with your SJ bottom. Find a kettle that will fit the SJ and your are good to go. Will cost about double the price of the tamale steamer, but will be much more sturdy.

By the way, please close the doors in Canada, you are letting the cold air out. it has not been above 20F since Tuesday Morning, ice and snow, schools closed. Thanks

So I did it, I went to Lowes and bought a SJS. I wanted to build a mini smoker for my brother in law, (to give to him as a thanks gift) and since he was in town this weekend, off to Lowes we went. As we speak, we are running a test run to wee how it acts, but so far, it is pretty simple to control. Start to finish, I think we had about an hour and a half in the building of the mini! Hmmm, maybe a Boston Butt first thing in the Morning!
2 questions, how many lit coals do you guys put on top of the unlit coals, and what seeems to be the best thermometer to me mount on the mini?
Thanks in advance, Tim
wsmsmile8gm.gif

As stated by Pj on page 22 i think

""I put 35-40 briquettes around a can that I dump 12-16 lit into and pull the can. 4-5 nice pieces of wood in there too. I am using a solid charcoal basket instead of the expanded metal, so it acts more controlled like a stove. I tried the up-side-down can, but because of the solid basket, it limited me to sub-200 degrees due to limited air flow around the coals. I couldn't control the temps with a metal pan and went to the clay saucer. I like really low and slow so I put the water in to stabilize temps (boiling point = 212)and run with top and bottom partially closed. I haven't needed to add coals yet for a cook.""

i use bout 25 lit ones for my UDS so i assume it might be around the same. it seems that 12-15 is enough BUT TAKES FOREVER to get to temp! haha

Matt,first off, thanks for the post, second, have you been able to fire up your mini yet? We ran the first test run this afternoon, and I would consider it a 'fail'. The mini only lasted about 5 hours tops before the ash covered up the vents and all but extinguished the coals. I am currently about 1 1/2 hours into test run #2, and this thing dialed right in at 230-240. It has held there for a little over an hour. I lined the outside of the SJS with 40 unlit, and then evenly spaced 10 lit around the top of the unlit. Hopefully this will diminish the amount of ash build- up over the vent. What a fun learning curve!
Thanks again, Tim
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim,

That's what I ran into with the SJS. It really is the wrong grill for this mod, the gold is so much better, and you don't run into the ash issues.

Now the good news, play with it, and show us how to make the 8 hour fire with the sjs. Enjoy the journey...

J, We went with the SJS for my Bro-in-law since he does a lot of camping and will also use the SJS as a grill, not just a smoker. For my mini, I went with the SJG since mine will be used soley as a smoker.
As for our attempt at ash deflection, (sounds real technical doesn't it! LOL) We cut a 7" circle out of the left over cut out from the steamer pot. We cut it into the form of a dish, and drilled several holes in it. I hope this mod, along with spreading the coals around the edge gives us the longevity we are looking for!
So much charcoal, so little time!
mini
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Nearing the end of my first overnight cook on my Mini, a 6 lb Boston Butt. I used Cowboy lump charcoal, and it is horrid stuff. It spikes in temp fast, and then have chased temps and adjustments all night. I have had to reload the firebox 3 times already in 10-1/2 hours. Did my first cooks using TRUE 'CUE from Home Depot and could hold temps steady for 5 hours easy. It's been a long night, but the butts at 191F now, so my mouth's starting to water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back