Rusty grill refresh plan

SteveN York

Hello,

So I appeared to have neglected my Q100 over winter and upon the first sight of spring dared to take a peek under the cover to see the damage, and as I suspected the dreaded rust has set in.

So I'm looking for advice on how best fix them up to use again. I know there's some similar posts on this forum on fixing up rusty grills, but the method of soaking in vinegar thats been suggested hasn't worked. So I'm wondering what to do next? Do I bite the bullet and give in to the rust and buy new, or is there something else I can try?

As an added question, I've recently bought one of those side griddles, which I was going to sit on top of the grill as the one I've got isn't one that separates, would this work? and if so do I need to season it first?

I've attached an image of the grills, they're not really bad, just not as good as I'd like them to be to cook on! Are they the porcelain type, or just cast iron?

Apologies for so many questions, and if the answers are obvious! I'm a bit of a grill newbie!

Here's hoping someone can help me out!
Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_8671.JPG
    IMG_8671.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 18
Agreed with Kyle. It's not that bad. Just follow tips on how to season CI and you should be good to go. Once you see the flaking and get brittle, then it's a goner.

I agree. just clean them up as best you can (they look pretty good now) and get to grilling. I find that the grates on the Q grills just seem to rust out unless you are extremely diligent about scraping, cleaning and oiling them between every cook. I just plan on replacing them every few years. If you go with some aftermarket ones off Amazon, you can get them very reasonably.

Thanks all for your advice, I seasoned them last night and they've come up like new!
It does a good job of hiding the bits of rust that there was, and like you've said, they're not actually that bad so I'm good to go!

Cheers,
Steve

Back