Runnin too hot - too clean or competition

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
So after many easy smokes of low and slow I happened to have a little mold and such in my smoker and cleaned it pretty aggressively. My last two smokesI've had major problems keeping it low and slow (have had to close every bottom vent). I also at the same time switched to kingsford competition instead of the regular blue m. So is it the competition or my cleaning the smoker that is the culprit?

I would think it would be the cleaning more than the charcoal, but it could very well be a combination of both. Maybe try lighting less charcoal when you start the fire?

Is it possible that in the process of cleaning you bent a vent or the door just enough to allow a little more air leakage than you had before?

I've used both varieties of Kingsford and the Competition does seem to burn a little hotter than the regular. I use it strictly for grilling.

I would think it would be the cleaning more than the charcoal, but it could very well be a combination of both. Maybe try lighting less charcoal when you start the fire?

yes it seems to start hotter definitely. to date I don't think I've ever started too few coals.

Is it possible that in the process of cleaning you bent a vent or the door just enough to allow a little more air leakage than you had before?

it's possible, but I don't think so. maybe the door had smaller leaks when gunked up.

I've used both varieties of Kingsford and the Competition does seem to burn a little hotter than the regular. I use it strictly for grilling.

Judging by what you guys are saying I think it's a combination. I just bought a bunch of blue because of the memorial day sale so i'm using the blue whether I like it or not! thanks for the help.

Back