Rub your fat?

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Does anyone else skip adding rub to the fat cap on a pork butt? Awhile ago I decided its mostly going to melt away anyway so whats the point. I'm not generaly stingy, but a guy does go through a ton of rub, this will save a little. I just thought of it again tonight when rubbing 2 8.5 lb butts down, am I the only one who skips the fat when rubbing?

Try removing most of the fat cap and rub the whole thing...more meat with bark!!!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Clendenning:
Try removing most of the fat cap and rub the whole thing...more meat with bark!!!
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I do.

So this brings up another good question then. On a brisket, would you not rub the fat? There's a lot of fat on an untrimmed brisket.

I do not rub the fat on butts and I cook them fat side down. That way, when they stick to the grates all you lose is fat, vs. meat.

On briskets I do very little trimming if any at all and yes, I do rub the fat. Sure some melts off and is wasted, but I like to foil my briskets, so when the seasoned fat is melting it is adding flavor to my foil juices. Once the brisket is done, then I scrape most of the excess unrendered fat and discard.

i first saw this thread title before 7 this morning and my 1st thought was"only on a BBQ forum can you see a thread with such a title" then my 2nd thought was "well...probably not"
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i first saw this thread title before 7 this morning and my 1st thought was"only on a BBQ forum can you see a thread with such a title" then my 2nd thought was "well...probably not"
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

At first I had "just a question" for the topic, but what fun is that
icon_wink.gif

You make a good point about brisket Larry, I will keep that in mind next time I do a brisket. Even if you didnt foil, beef fat dosent melt as much as pork fat. If you did choose to serve with the fat on, there probably would still be some rub left. (some people like to eat that brisket fat)

As for pork butts, I also go untrimmed with fat side down.

Sure smells good out there this morning, nothing like the smell of smokey pork when you wake up!

You know,I never thought of it like that. I just rub everything and let it go. But this comes from the guy who kept BOTH grates in the WSM.whether I was using both or not.
icon_redface.gif
Oh well,live and learn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
You know,I never thought of it like that. I just rub everything and let it go. But this comes from the guy who kept BOTH grates in the WSM.whether I was using both or not.
icon_redface.gif
Oh well,live and learn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we supposed to remove th unused lower rack?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
If you take the lower grate out when you aren't using it,ya don't have to clean it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was kiddin'!
icon_wink.gif

Back