Rub for Ribs

My favorite for pork is the rub recipe given for Kansas City style spareribs in the Weber Big Book of Grilling page 163. I reduce the amount of Kosher salt by one-half. Also, I add 1/2 teaspoon of dried mustard and 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Let me know if you need all the ingredients.

I have a file of bbq recipes (sauces, rubs, slaw, baked beans, etc.) that I have accumulated from many sources, which includes dozens of rubs. I'll be glad to email it to you if you're interested. (Caveat: I haven't tried even 1/10 of the recipes, so I can't say how good they may be.)

I'm a big fan of Memphis style rubs on ribs. Try a google search for "Rendezvous Rib Rub" or some permutation. Start with what ever you find, and modify it to your tastes.

I usually omit the mustard and sub a ground chili for the paprika, since neither adds much flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
I have a file of bbq recipes (sauces, rubs, slaw, baked beans, etc.) that I have accumulated from many sources, which includes dozens of rubs. I'll be glad to email it to you if you're interested. (Caveat: I haven't tried even 1/10 of the recipes, so I can't say how good they may be.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd be very interested in your BBQ file if you're willing to share. My email is charles_hoffman@hotmail.com. Thanks!

For that, try switching the paprika, chili powder and cayenne to ground chilies with actual flavor and you might like it even more. Aleppo (ground further), guajillo, cascabel and pasilla or ancho would be my choices for this. (Consider a little herb too, like sage and/or thyme.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
I have a file of bbq recipes (sauces, rubs, slaw, baked beans, etc.) that I have accumulated from many sources, which includes dozens of rubs. I'll be glad to email it to you if you're interested. (Caveat: I haven't tried even 1/10 of the recipes, so I can't say how good they may be.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd be very interested in your BBQ file if you're willing to share. My email is charles_hoffman@hotmail.com. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your email.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay Cope:
Last month when I did ribs, I used the Sugarless Texas Sprinkle described in this "Cooking Topic" page. This blew away my previous store bought seasoning I was using. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm doing this tomorrow. Glad to hear an endorsement for it! What did you use for sauce (if any). I think I'm going to try making my first homemade sauce too! Just feels like a smoke weekend...72 degrees in Florida B-)

-Ian

Edit: Also, will it matter if the rub is applied the night before? The recipe says right before putting in the smoker, but I thought with rubs it doesn't matter. I know they don't add flavor if I do it the night before, but it makes my morning much quicker to just throw meat in the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ian G:
[Also, will it matter if the rub is applied the night before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did that once when I first started smoking and by the next morning the ribs were sitting in a pile of liquid. Bad news. I don't do that any more. Besides, it only takes a minute to apply rub just before the ribs go in the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Besides, it only takes a minute to apply rub just before the ribs go in the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for pointing out my laziness. Ok ok, I'll only prepare the rub tonight and apply right before throwing them on in the morning. And I'm trimming them tonight!

Smoking takes patience...I need to remember this.

-Ian

Ed,

Where in NoVA are you located? I'm in Bristow.

For rubs, start in the cooking section. There are good, simple rubs for ribs, chicken, brisket, etc. A good place to start.

Jim

Ian, I haven't ventured into making my own sauces and am trying to avoid it. I can't stand most of the ingredients that go into sauces, but they sure do taste good as a finished product. I'm sure one day I'll be forced to do it.

I just used off the shelf Bullseye and it was great with the ribs. Best of luck and snap some photos if convenient. I'll be putting on a brisket at 4 am myself.

I enjoy coming up with my own rubs and sauces. Some are hits, some are misses but thats part of the fun. For the record, I`ve tried applying rubs the night before and I have yet to taste the difference.

Texas BBQ Rub is perfect for ribs or on anything else you care to throw on the grill or smoker. It's even great on pan fried salmon. It's the only way my wife likes to eat fresh fish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
For that, try switching the paprika, chili powder and cayenne to ground chilies with actual flavor and you might like it even more. Aleppo (ground further), guajillo, cascabel and pasilla or ancho would be my choices for this. (Consider a little herb too, like sage and/or thyme.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin how many of these spices would you subsitute in the recipies. ie ancho for chille powder guajillo for paprika? For whatever reason this post has me confused.

Paul, as one who has followed Kevin's lead....I have all but eliminated paprika, chili powder and cayenne in many rubs and other uses. You may mix the chillis he lists as you prefer. I have used guajillo, cascabel and ancho peppers. I am on my third order now. If you use Penseys, they show the relative heat of the individual peppers to help guide your use of the peppers.

Right, mix the chilis as you prefer.

Paul-- Imo, its worth getting several chilies then trying them to see their qualities.

In the original recipe, 8 T of ground chilis are used (4 paprika, 3 chili powder*, 1 cayenne) so, were I to keep the same quantity (not really necessary), I might go with, say, 2 T each of guajillo, ancho, Aleppo, and cascabel or pasilla--or maybe just, say, 4 guajillo, 3 cascabel, 1 Aleppo.

Lots of possibilities. Much depends on the depth and type of chilie you want, and how much heat. Having several chilis at hand, and having some familiarity with each chile's qualities, makes this easy--and enjoyable--to do.

* chili powder is a blend of ground chile, often ancho, plus usually onion, garlic, s bit of cumin and/or oregano, sometimes sugar; the onion, garlic and cumin could easily be added to the rub mix if converting the paprika, chili powder and cayenne to more flavorfu chilis; I'd skip the oregano and go with sage and/or thyme though

Back