Royal Oak Ultra 100

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I came across this brand of 100% hardwood briquetes from Royal Oak on the web here:

http://www.royal-oak.com/42

....but have never seen them in real life. I'd love to try it. Does anyone know what chains carry it? I'm in central Illinois.

Also, I wonder if there is any difference between RO's traditional red bag of lump, and the "Steakhouse" lump they sell in the green bag at Menards. That one isn't even a brand they acknowledge on their website.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
....but have never seen them in real life. I'd love to try it. Does anyone know what chains carry it? I'm in central Illinois. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Can't help you on this one, but it sounds like something NEW? (to compete with Stubbs / Rancher / Wicked Good?) and I'm intrigued as well.</span>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, I wonder if there is any difference between RO's traditional red bag of lump, and the "Steakhouse" lump they sell in the green bag at Menards. That one isn't even a brand they acknowledge on their website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">This is THE SAME STUFF - Pretty good stuff, too!
With the RO Red Bag Lump - you sometimes have to watch where it's from -- the US-Made stuff is pretty good, but I've heard that some of the Central / South American stuff is not as good.</span>

I want some Ole Diz!
brands-OD.png

or Great Lakes!
brands-GLbriq.png

Matt I don't think it's new I've heard of it before but I haven't seen it myself. The two places I know I can get RO only have lump which is fantastic!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barry McCorkle:
Holy Moly, I haven't seen Ol Diz charcoal in 35+ years! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many people today even remember who Ole Diz was? Or his broadcasting partner, Pee Wee Reese:
image.aspx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How many people today even remember who Ole Diz was? Or his broadcasting partner, Pee Wee Reese: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Almost everyone in the St Louis, Mo area knows about Dizzy.
icon_smile.gif

Pretty sure that I have Pee Wee's autograph somewhere, given to me by a friend.

My Dad used to use Ole Diz on his Weber kettle many years ago. Haven't seen Ole Diz around for a long time.

Ole Diz ended each broadcast...."here's the 'ol lefthander rounding third and headen' for home..." Man...those were the days!!!

Royal Oak says this can be found at "Do it Best" stores. I'll have to check today, though I didn't find it listed online.

Chuck, I am a huge fan of RO lump. It's my single favorite charcoal for grilling and less than 4 hour smokes. Briquetes are easier for the long smokes though, and I prefer all natural.

Matt.
I think it was about 4-5 yrs ago that Menards switched from the red bag to the green bag Steakhouse lump.
IIRC it had something to do with making it easier for the customers to tell the difference between the red bags of briqs and lump. Thar usually displayed right next to each other.
OBTW they have the green bags on sale for $3.99 till Sun.

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Kaylor:
Ole Diz ended each broadcast...."here's the 'ol lefthander rounding third and headen' for home..." Man...those were the days!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geez, this thread must be putting some age on a few of us...! I thought everybody knew about Dizzy Dean and had heard of at least one of his game calls. "He kisses her on the strikes,..."
(some of you may have seen the first gaff before I editted it
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Rich

Back