Rough Year

Brock Gingery

TVWBB Super Fan
So I signed back in earlier this year hoping for more time to spend on outdoor cooking and the forum, but sometimes things just are not in the cards. My uncle lost a fight to brain cancer the Monday after Easter, and my own father had a cancer scare of his own further into summer. He just made it home yesterday after his post surgery consultation and the good news is that the tumor and polyps that were removed were benign and there are no signs of them starting to regrow.

While several things got put on the back burner my mind does what it seems to always does, nonstop thinking. When visiting my uncle shortly before he passed the family made note that they dont usually barbeque all that much. The last time I got to see them was last year for memorial day when we had a cookout at his place up in the north of Wisconsin. The times I cherish most from my childhood were the times spent at either the cabin in the UP or at my grandparents in Michigan for hunting and fishing. It is when I got to see my uncle and cousins, most of the rest of the family, and it was usually gathered around the table. My grandfather loved food off the grill and is probably the reason I started learning how to barbeque.

The time we spend is important as well as the memories we make. I am thankful for the times spent gathered around a grill with family and friends. One of the last memories I will have of my uncle is him smiling standing over a grill flipping burgers for the meal. Ive done a little grilling this year, but a lot of thinking of family that have passed on.
Cherish the time you have.

Amen bro. Early tomorrow I'm gonna pull out the boneless rib roast primal I bought yesterday at Costco. WAY too much $$$, but I have my late youngest sister's son coming up from central IL, my other sister and her husband, both daughters, all the grandchildren and my brother's wife. I am going to make a center cut out of that hunk o' meat, score the fat cap, get a nice S&P rub down on it and on Big Z it will go. Then heading into our village and hopefully finding some deelish fresh sweet corn from Blackmer's Farm here in Cherry Valley. If they don't have any, will head out of town to Belvidere and grab some at my second fav farm, TJ's Farm Market on Genoa Rd just south of 90.
Those will come home, lop off the top of the silk, and right on the Wolf husk and all to be roasted nicely. Those will get slathered in grass fed organic butter and a hint of sea salt. We gonna eat good!
I'll end up with some smaller roasts and some nice thick ribeyes for the freezer

Amen bro. Early tomorrow I'm gonna pull out the boneless rib roast primal I bought yesterday at Costco. WAY too much $$$, but I have my late youngest sister's son coming up from central IL, my other sister and her husband, both daughters, all the grandchildren and my brother's wife. I am going to make a center cut out of that hunk o' meat, score the fat cap, get a nice S&P rub down on it and on Big Z it will go. Then heading into our village and hopefully finding some deelish fresh sweet corn from Blackmer's Farm here in Cherry Valley. If they don't have any, will head out of town to Belvidere and grab some at my second fav farm, TJ's Farm Market on Genoa Rd just south of 90.
Those will come home, lop off the top of the silk, and right on the Wolf husk and all to be roasted nicely. Those will get slathered in grass fed organic butter and a hint of sea salt. We gonna eat good!
I'll end up with some smaller roasts and some nice thick ribeyes for the freezer
Thank you Mr Michaels. Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. We can't take the money with us when we go, and we dont know how much time we have. It sounds to me like you are going to get your money's worth out of that cut. God bless.

So I signed back in earlier this year hoping for more time to spend on outdoor cooking and the forum, but sometimes things just are not in the cards. My uncle lost a fight to brain cancer the Monday after Easter, and my own father had a cancer scare of his own further into summer. He just made it home yesterday after his post surgery consultation and the good news is that the tumor and polyps that were removed were benign and there are no signs of them starting to regrow.

While several things got put on the back burner my mind does what it seems to always does, nonstop thinking. When visiting my uncle shortly before he passed the family made note that they dont usually barbeque all that much. The last time I got to see them was last year for memorial day when we had a cookout at his place up in the north of Wisconsin. The times I cherish most from my childhood were the times spent at either the cabin in the UP or at my grandparents in Michigan for hunting and fishing. It is when I got to see my uncle and cousins, most of the rest of the family, and it was usually gathered around the table. My grandfather loved food off the grill and is probably the reason I started learning how to barbeque.

The time we spend is important as well as the memories we make. I am thankful for the times spent gathered around a grill with family and friends. One of the last memories I will have of my uncle is him smiling standing over a grill flipping burgers for the meal. Ive done a little grilling this year, but a lot of thinking of family that have passed on.
Cherish the time you have.
Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you are here. You are absolutely right we never know how much time we have so definitely make the most of everyday. Spend time with loved ones as much as you can.

Do you currently have a grill or are you looking for a specific grill?

@Brock Gingery , I wish I had better words for you. :( At least for us, it's not getting easier. We just get more calls that more family members have gone.

My g/f & I have buried all 4 (and only 4....) of our parents between about 10 and 20 years ago. Only 1 of Dad's siblings is still around, a couple of Mom's are still here (and I'm going to miss my aunt's 85th bday party in a week.) 2 years ago, I hauled my smoker back to the farm where I grew up, and smoked food for the Kalchik clan reunion, about 60+ people, and it just doesn't happen often enough.

Back