Rotisserie turkey?

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
Thinking with my recent summit 650 acquisition that I'd like to do Thanksgiving turkey on the rotisserie. I certainly have the space for it now. Anyone done one? Weber has a recipe, seems easy enough. Wondering if anyone has tips or tricks. Thanks!

On my Wolf I have done 2 smaller ones at once (it's big LOL) Anyway I guess for "turkey" they were excellent. But I don't like turkey. But, judging from how they both went, I would have to say they were quite good

I did a turkey breast last couple of years, over charcoal though.

I don’t know how you typically do your birds, but I injected and had some rub on the outside. Darn good

On my Wolf I have done 2 smaller ones at once (it's big LOL) Anyway I guess for "turkey" they were excellent. But I don't like turkey. But, judging from how they both went, I would have to say they were quite good
I LOVE turkey. When it's on sale at the store I'll buy 2 lbs of deli turkey and it will last maybe 3 days

Spatchcock or broken down into quarters. Much easier with exceptional results. I’d skip the roto if it were me. But a grilled or smoked bird is epic for thanksgiving.

Spatchcock or broken down into quarters. Much easier with exceptional results. I’d skip the roto if it were me. But a grilled or smoked bird is epic for thanksgiving.
Also the way that I do birds. I don't have a rotisserie, nor space in my grill for one. IMO, the only thing I give up is the Norman Rockwell presentation. When I do serve chicken or turkey, generally everybody is roaming around and sees (and smells!) it when I take it off the grill.

^^^^^This is where it is at.......what are you missing if done this way????? Only the full bird presentation.
What do you gain from doing it this way????? The perfect cook temp on each piece of meat...as in you can cook the white to within 1 or 2 degrees of perfectness....and do the dark to your liking.
Also it's pretty easy....if you have cut a few birds before and or you have the tools to do so you can get a pretty good looking bunch of pieces of meat.......practice on chickens first if no experience.
If this is not your thing...you can purchase the pieces already butchered to perfect pieces at any local grocer.
This is what I have planned for this year....
E6..........get a good fire going on the bottom level...choke off most of the fire with tinfoil or something....try to maintain 300 to 350...not sure what I want to cook at yet.
Pull pieces as they finish and then carve from there.
Lots of meat lots of left overs.....and you can get lots of tasty rub on there using this technique....I did some turkey last weekend and it was extremely juicy.

Rotisserie is a lot of fun though....did 2 chickens a couple weeks back with lots of success.....I just have never done a turkey...it also seems like it would take a century to do it.

What’s the Weight of this “bird” and how long did it “spin” to reach the desired Temperature?
That was a 26LBS bird. It took 5 hours and change to get to 165 in the dark meat. It's hard to tell, but I had bacon strips under the skin in the breast. Whenever I rotisserie I only have fire on one side. I see a lot of guys with fire on both sides, and I'm sure that speeds up the cook, but it also defeats the self basting that occurs when cooking by rotisserie.

This was a wonderful cook, we had turkey sandwiches for days

^^^^^This is where it is at.......what are you missing if done this way????? Only the full bird presentation.
What do you gain from doing it this way????? The perfect cook temp on each piece of meat...as in you can cook the white to within 1 or 2 degrees of perfectness....and do the dark to your liking.
Also it's pretty easy....if you have cut a few birds before and or you have the tools to do so you can get a pretty good looking bunch of pieces of meat.......practice on chickens first if no experience.
If this is not your thing...you can purchase the pieces already butchered to perfect pieces at any local grocer.
This is what I have planned for this year....
E6..........get a good fire going on the bottom level...choke off most of the fire with tinfoil or something....try to maintain 300 to 350...not sure what I want to cook at yet.
Pull pieces as they finish and then carve from there.
Lots of meat lots of left overs.....and you can get lots of tasty rub on there using this technique....I did some turkey last weekend and it was extremely juicy.

Rotisserie is a lot of fun though....did 2 chickens a couple weeks back with lots of success.....I just have never done a turkey...it also seems like it would take a century to do it.
A turkey on the Rotisserie will be a bigger “Show” for your guests and family;)

That was a 26LBS bird. It took 5 hours and change to get to 165 in the dark meat. It's hard to tell, but I had bacon strips under the skin in the breast. Whenever I rotisserie I only have fire on one side. I see a lot of guys with fire on both sides, and I'm sure that speeds up the cook, but it also defeats the self basting that occurs when cooking by rotisserie.

This was a wonderful cook, we had turkey sandwiches for days
Only used the Weber Charcoal Baskets on each side and will use my SlowNSear Deluxe on my next Rotisserie Cook

I cook the Thanksgiving turkey every year on the rotisserie over charcoal. It's a lot moister than I any other way I have found to cook it, and that includes even a few low and slow turkeys in the WSM. We just touch it up with some butter and Bell's, not much more.

Back