Rotisserie shawarma and feast

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
Lebanese food for the Mrs' birthday party.

Falafel action

9I3fVM9l.jpg

uzKmYiCl.jpg

Shawarma - this is strips of marinated pork and beef shoulders bound together with string. The marinade is onion garlic cumin turmeric paprika cayenne and oregano.

c9uWiral.jpg

Shawarma cooked on the rotisserie
3Oy25ytl.jpg

dbDFrx4l.jpg

The spread with condiments. Hummus tatziki baba ghanouj muhamarra dip feta peppers cucumber and tabbouleh salad.

h0ckHg9l.jpg

Baklava for the ladies

bugVv9Tl.jpg

For me

GIsY1Axl.jpg

Dave - AWESOME! We love Mediterranean fare. How did you thread and bind the meat so it would spin? Tell me your secret and I am all over this one! How did you serve it? Did you slice it off like gyros or slide it off like kabob?

Regards,

John

Thanks everyone!

John I strung it up kinda like a large salami. The strips were about 1x4x.25 inches each. I tossed them together and then made a pile on a sheet pan in a log shape. I started at one end and made a little half hitch loop about every half inch.

Then I had a helper help me flip the log on its back and fed the string through each loop. Then up and down the sides.

Once it was all tied up i stuck it on the skewer and made sure the forks were in the meat. Then I tucked in any big dangling pieces into the string.

Because it was a pile of strips and not a real gyros stack or loaf, once I took it off the spit and cut the string the mass fell apart. Then I just cut it up with a cleaver.

Bill of course this method would work for el pastor. Great idea thats one of my favorites. I'm all over that!

The only thing I know about Lebanese is corporal Klinger. Seriously though, although I am not familiar with this food the flavors look fantastic. Really nice cook and outstanding post. It is really great to learn about something different.

Fantastic cook, Dave. Many years ago, I lived in the Middle East for 6 months on a business assignment, and shawarma & falafel were among the many foods I enjoyed out there. Yours looks like the real deal.

Yum yum yum. I love shawarma!! Never thought to do it myself and now I am inspired to do my own. thanks for that!

Back