Rotisserie Question

M Rudko

TVWBB Member
So I have a pork loin brining that I want to do tomorrow on the rotisserie. My question is how to arrange the fire on my Weber kettle.

Do I split it? Or just bank it on one side?

Also do I cover and cook? Or leave the lid off?

Thanks for any advice. I don't often run the rotisserie and can't remember ever having done a full pork loin.

-Mike

On my Weber gasser I leave the center burner off and put a drip pan on the bars to catch fluids. I would assume the same should work for charcoal.

Mike, you can do it either way since the rotisserie rotation will expose the pork equally to the fire. Personally, I like to split the coals because I feel it gives me a more balanced overall temperature. And since it's a thicker piece of meat I'd definitely go cover-on.

So I have a pork loin brining that I want to do tomorrow on the rotisserie. My question is how to arrange the fire on my Weber kettle.

Do I split it? Or just bank it on one side?

Also do I cover and cook? Or leave the lid off?

Thanks for any advice. I don't often run the rotisserie and can't remember ever having done a full pork loin.

-Mike

Hey Mike,

For many years I banked coals on both sides when using my rotisserie. A couple years ago I banked just one side while spinning a chicken and found that the result a bit more pleasing - more tender; great skin color and taste. Both ways are fine and you'll do well no matter which you end up using. Lid on for sure.

Enjoy!

Hey Mike,

For many years I banked coals on both sides when using my rotisserie. A couple years ago I banked just one side while spinning a chicken and found that the result a bit more pleasing - more tender; great skin color and taste. Both ways are fine and you'll do well no matter which you end up using. Lid on for sure.

Enjoy!

Interesting thought Pete....I will have to try this, thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks much, guys. I will let you know how it comes out tomorrow. Really appreciate your help.

-Mike

Either way is fine but just to add another opinion to the mix, a while back I watched this video and gave the method a try. Low and slow fire with an open lid. I was very happy with the results of my chicken. The video is long but check it out.

Okay, I went with the fire banked on one side. Cooked beautifully but I pushed the temp to 160 which I read somewhere was what you should do to pork loin. It was edible particularly with the apricot glaze but, IMO, overcooked. Sliced the left-overs super thin on the Hobart and it makes a great sandwich.

But my follow-up question is: to what temp do you cook your pork loin? I'm looking for a juicier result than what I get at 160.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

-Mike

I like doing pork loins and whole chickens directly over the coals. Works great for me. With something bigger like turkey I use the charcoal baskets off to the side. I pull the pork off at 135-140° let rest for a final temp of 145-150°. Very moist and tender. 160° ia definitely to hot.

Back