Rotisserie pork butt....

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
I have been wanting to try a boneless pork butt on the rotisserie for a long time. I finally got around to it and I gotta say I was very happy with the results! I tied it seven ways from Sunday to keep it together and it worked great. Here are a few pics of the cook....

The set-up....

Tried keeping the temp at 300 degrees....

Getting close

Another shot....

Held together well....

I had to sample it....

then pull it....

So now I know it can be done without the thing coming apart. We had shredded potatoes, coleslaw, pineapple and fried green tomatoes with it.

It was good! Thanks for looking!

Hey Mikey, He Likes It!
LOOKIN' GOOD!
Inspiration # 1 today!

Love the Shirt too Mike AND the pop cooler (i'd fill it with beer:p )

Jim, the cooler ONLY holds beer (it holds 4 cases)! Anything non-alcoholic will freeze in it... I've got it set VERY cold!

Glad everything held together. My beer fridge is the same as your cooler, I keep it just subzero so when the wife trys to keep her veggies in it they freeze. She asked me to turn it up a bit so she could use it. Silly woman.

Hey Mikey, He Likes It!
LOOKIN' GOOD!
Inspiration # 1 today!

Love the Shirt too Mike AND the pop cooler (i'd fill it with beer:p )

Here ya go, Jim! Four cases of New Belgium (Fat Tire) and Deschutes (Mirror Pond Pale Ale and Black Butte Porter) beer. That was a while back... I'm a total hophead now!

ooooooh my!
Mike, fat tire is one of my most favourite brews (first time i had it was in Reno, drank it allll week long)
the two others, I have not tried :( wondering how long it'd take me to get to Payson...:rolleyes:

How long did it take and how did you know it was done? Looks great, I have a roti but have not had the chance to use it.

Great job on the Roti pork butt, Mike! Would love to help you diminish the beer population in that cooler.;)

It was a "Murphy's Law" Friday for me... everything that could go wrong did. I wanted the butt on around 9:30 am - it went on at 11:00 am. I went with a simple seasoning... kosher salt, turbinado sugar, gran onion, gran garlic and California Style Sweet Paprika from Penzey. The pan contained a combination of water and apple juice. It was (obviously) a high heat cook - the butt came off at 6:00 pm with internal temps at 190+ degrees taken from several spots and probe tender everywhere. My BBQ box lid hit me in the head when I went to replenish the coals and I got a cut above my eyebrow for the effort. Thanks, Murph....

As for the beer in the cooler - that's an old photo from July 2010. I am a total hophead now... my "go to" is Redhook's "Longhammer IPA". Deschutes Brewery makes a good IPA called "Inversion" (a lot of malt to balance the hops if that's what you like), and I've brewed an IPA from Northern Brewer called "Dead Ringer" which is a clone of Bell's "Two Hearted Ale" and that turned out awesome - even for a newbie to homebrew like me!

Anyway, a big "thanks" to everyone who has looked at this post and made their comments. When I first spoke of rotisserie pork butt a long while ago, several pros here warned me of the pork butt wanting to separate or fall off of the rotisserie. I tied it 3 times end to end and 4 times across the butt because of their suggestions and it worked out for me.

Tonight we are having "mini" pulled pork tostadas... refried beans, smoked pulled pork, cheese and guacamole on a corn tortilla "triangle" chip... and make a lot of them because it's something you don't want to stop eating! Put them together on a baking tray, put them in the oven to heat 'em and melt the cheese and go crazy....

Nice looking pork butt Mike, but I'm blown away by your beer cooler. I'm about to start my first batch of homebrew -- hope to get to the point of making Two Hearted someday!

Nice looking pork butt Mike, but I'm blown away by your beer cooler. I'm about to start my first batch of homebrew -- hope to get to the point of making Two Hearted someday!

The Northern Brewer "Dead Ringer" is an extract kit - very easy to make. I would recommend you get some hop bags for the hops. They would cut down on the sediment in your fermenter.

Oh, and the "beer" cooler? I found it at a yard sale... the guy said "make me an offer". I had a $20.00 bill in my pocket. He took the $20 and I took the cooler....

very nice!!!! I was going to try and do a butt on my rotisserie too a while back, all set to go and we lost power. I thought it was just or neighborhood that lost power, nope all of Socal was black. Forgot all about trying it again until now.

Back