Rotisserie Ham

Don Franco

Hi All,

Hope 2023 is being good to you!

Decided it was time for a new BBQ challenge so picked up the weber rotisserie for the 22 inch kettle. First mission is trying to perfect the rotisserie ham with crispy skin.

Following the methods that most people are using, (salt the skin, high heat grill) felt the ham was too salty and not tender enough after the first cook. While the skin was a bit too charred.

Already plan to reduce the salt and amount of fuel in kettle, but the combination of tender meat, and crispy skin has got me wondering.....

Most vids on youtube and recipes seem to call for high heat early on for that crispy skin, then reduce the temps to cook through. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted the opposite? Low n Slow for a few hours at 225F really just to render the fat, maybe even in the oven, then a high heat finish to 145F internal over charcoal on the rotisserie to crisp the skin and add some char?

Any Rotisserie pros out there able to share some thoughts?

Cheers,

Franco

I’ve done one, it was fantastic, no salting of the skin, already plenty of salt in commercial ham.
If memory serves, I used basic indirect method, two baskets, fully involved, finishing with a maple, ginger, bourbon glaze just long enough to get “Glazey” since this was really a fully cooked ham internal temp wasn’t a huge thing. It has been years since I did it but, it was well recieved!
Anymore these days, SWMBO and the kids want spiral sliced more “prefab” ham. I’d rather do a real one but, I’m outvoted a lot! Maybe this Easter I’ll just spin one and not give them any choice in the matter! I grew up with Lamb for Easter, Standing Rib Roast for Christmas, Ham was New Year’s Day, Basic roast Turkey for Thanksgiving. I don’t give much of a hoot for turkey anymore. So that’s become a crown roast of pork feast usually.
Sorry, that kind of went off the rails.

Back